Poncho's

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Flintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I never gave it much thought before but for someone just getting into rondezvous in 1820-1840's era, a simple wool blanket (poncho) would suffice until a coat or jacket could be made. Just a idea, we have some new commers trying to get involved.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Since the Stone Age blankets were wrapped on folks. Roman soldiers wore a large circular cape with a hole in it.
Common on the frontier was the match coat, just a blanket worn in a coat like fashion.
A trapper may have seen pancho in Taos or Santa Fe. And a quick slit in a blanket will make a pancho but I would venture a match coat style would have been more common, and more protection then a pancho style

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Since the Stone Age blankets were wrapped on folks. Roman soldiers wore a large circular cape with a hole in it.
Common on the frontier was the match coat, just a blanket worn in a coat like fashion.
A trapper may have seen pancho in Taos or Santa Fe. And a quick slit in a blanket will make a pancho but I would venture a match coat style would have been more common, and more protection then a pancho style
Now having used one, and in some fairly poor weather, I'm at a loss as to people's resistance to the simple matchcoat.
I only rarely both pinned and belted mine and still found it excellent for keeping me warm and myself and my gun and gear dry.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I wear a blanket folded match coat style on cold nights while moving around camp visiting my neighbors.

Double layers on the shoulders makes a huge difference…

Some Sutlers sell canvas type ponchos..👍

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Now having used one, and in some fairly poor weather, I'm at a loss as to people's resistance to the simple matchcoat.
I only rarely both pinned and belted mine and still found it excellent for keeping me warm and myself and my gun and gear dry.
Yes mine always worked just fine.

..., and the actual Mexican poncho of the 18th and 19th century (and even into the 20th) is a lot tighter and stiffer than what Mr. Eastwood wears or you find in a lot of places these days. Don't be fooled folks by Hollywood and the "ponchos" made for American tourists.

Flintlock Whiskey

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't mind the time period, take a woobie blanket (poncho liner for all you civilians out there) and cut a hole 30% bigger than what it takes to get your head through in the center (sew up the edges of course). You will have the best non waterproof poncho known to man.
Brought to you by a former Army 19D.

kje54

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes mine always worked just fine.

..., and the actual Mexican poncho of the 18th and 19th century (and even into the 20th) is a lot tighter and stiffer than what Mr. Eastwood wears or you find in a lot of places these days. Don't be fooled folks by Hollywood and the "ponchos" made for American tourists.
What? They didn't have acrylic in the 18th and 19th centuries??!! Now ya tell me.......

:D

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Not got the attention.
TV and movies show thick heavy or skin coats, or panchos a’ la Man with no name, but just don’t see the much more practical matchcoat

Flintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone read a account of someone late 18th - early 19th century using a blanket as a poncho or have seen a painting or sketch of such blanket use. I use a matchcoat all the time but was curious about the poncho when used west of the Mississippi.

kje54

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone read a account of someone late 18th - early 19th century using a blanket as a poncho or have seen a painting or sketch of such blanket use. I use a matchcoat all the time but was curious about the poncho when used west of the Mississippi.
Don't know but the poncho is old, believed to be first used as an all purpose outer garment by the Mapuche people of the Andes. It was adopted by people of the rest of South and Central America as well as the conquistadors when they arrived. It was quite prevalent in Spanish America which obviously included what is now the southwest US and California. Is it highly probable some Americans used it out west? Yeah but is there definitive proof....... Good question.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
What? They didn't have acrylic in the 18th and 19th centuries??!! Now ya tell me.......

:D
Well that and the Wild Nauga was almost taken to extinction to make Naugahyde. Domesticated Naugas are much larger, though some say the hyde is inferior.

LD

SSBN617b

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a poncho and woobie in my emergency bag in my trunk. Came in handy many times. Also a go to for camping.
Mitch

Last edited:

Daryl Crawford

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
A guy who hasn't really dressed the part (me), would like to know what size blanket should be used for a match coat?
I have the standard wool military wool blanket and a same sized, though heavier weight, gray blanket. I suppose I can look this up on YouTube but asking here usually gets me pretty good info.

Flintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A guy who hasn't really dressed the part (me), would like to know what size blanket should be used for a match coat?
I have the standard wool military wool blanket and a same sized, though heavier weight, gray blanket. I suppose I can look this up on YouTube but asking here usually gets me pretty good info.
Use what you have or better yet what covers you. It's always nice to have a blanket you can easily wrap yourself in.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We come in different sizes but a standard 60x84 fits me well, and I’m a big ol boy. It seems match coats were often made square

Latest posts