• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Poly-Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
1627850049640.png

I have come across a few bags of these poly-patches by Butler Creek, for round ball and maxi ball for .36 rifle. Any body have any good, bad, or indifferent comments about their performance before I attempt the use of them.

Pretty much a gimmick that didn’t work well or they’d still be making them. I’d read somewhere that the ball could/would separate from the poly patch and created a barrel obstruction while carrying the gun.

CVA sold some way back, they did not work well. I was gifted a pack and used them under a patched round ball to give a better gas seal and prevent burning thin patches used for easy loading. But as a stand alone patch I would not use them.

The person I got these from said he thinks his dad told him he used these as a wad underneath a patched ball, both styles, for protection of lube against powder, says he never shot maxi- balls. The round ball style has a cup on both sides, where as the maxi style has a cup on one side and flat on the other. thanks all for your input.

The person I got these from said he thinks his dad told him he used these as a wad underneath a patched ball, both styles, for protection of lube against powder, says he never shot maxi- balls. The round ball style has a cup on both sides, where as the maxi style has a cup on one side and flat on the other. thanks all for your input.
I used them in my .54 TC Renegade. Took one small buck with them. DRT.

Have seen a couple barrels fouled with plastic from using plastic patches. Would not use poly patch w/o further investigation. I think there might be a solvent now-a-days to clean a plastic fouled barrel. They were billed as a replacement for the "old fashioned" patch and ball. Not good advice.

Have seen a couple barrels fouled with plastic from using plastic patches. Would not use poly patch w/o further investigation. I think there might be a solvent now-a-days to clean a plastic fouled barrel. They were billed as a replacement for the "old fashioned" patch and ball. Not good advice.

Yes, I will check them out and see what goes, will only try for target shooting,the only time I use this .36 for hunting is when I go Snowshoe Hare hunting, or Ground Hogs

Kind of a Sabot for a round ball that got a bad reputation for allowing load to move in the bore. Original complaint I heard about was they couldn’t withstand the heat from the powder.

Being a plastic sabot, not something we discuss here. @Zonie would have put a fork in this thread by now. Hope he is healing up.

I used em in the 70's. They were easy, accurate and could be picked up and reloaded the other way around. Never had a ball come loose but only shot at range, not in hunting conditions.

Yes Zonie would say this thread gotta go!

I'm another who tried'em in the mid-70's in a 50 cal T/C "Hawken". Still have most of what I bought...didn't like them at all.

Think your gun is a .36? If so , .36 , .32 , .40 are all noted as being able to digest with accuracy most of what lead , muslin , and lube is put in the muzzle. Can't imagine why plastic could improve that.

i agree with oldwood ... muslin (or linen) and a good lube with round ball ... it ain't broke - don't try to fix it ...

just 'cause it's "new and improved" doesn't make it better. i am suspect of anything plastic when it comes to muzzle loaders.

one guy's curmudgeon opinion ... free and no doubt well worth the price

Kind of a Sabot for a round ball that got a bad reputation for allowing load to move in the bore. Original complaint I heard about was they couldn’t withstand the heat from the powder.

Being a plastic sabot, not something we discuss here. @Zonie would have put a fork in this thread by now. Hope he is healing up.

Yes, I will not remove the thread as it's a confusing thing and some of our new roundball shooters might be interested... , confusing in that they are a sabot for a round ball..., but it is a sabot round none-the-less, so locking this thread.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back