POLL: Who Would Buy a .526" or .527" round Ball Mould?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Who Would Buy a .526" or .527" Round Ball Mould?

• Not interested. Don't need one, don't want one.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I would definitely buy one if the price was in line with the manufacturer's other round ball moulds.

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beardedhorse

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a used .526 mold made by Lyman that was altered by a previous owner. It loads well with a bill Large .535 barrel but the sprue has an awkward parachute shape. Some idiot countersunk the block so when the sprue is cut there is that parachute cone. I'd order a new mold from Track of the Wolf if they got Lee or Lyman to reintroduce a .526 or .527 mold and goes with Lee or Lyman handles. I have heard of Tanner but don't contact info to inquire about a custom mold. Does anyone here have it? Thanks in advance for a reply.

Ohio Rusty

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I use a .520 RB in my smoothrifle. I just use a thicker pillow ticking patch. I went to that as I have a box of .530's and they were pretty hard to load with a .010 patch.
Ohio Rusty ><>

bushytail

40 Cal
Reaction score
I probably wouldn’t buy any other ball mounds for my 54 cal. since .530 shoot nice. Larry Callahan makes bag molds in standard sizes. He also makes custom sizes too. You’ll pay a little more for the custom size you want. But you’ll have it. He did a custom size for me of .562 for my 58 cal. trade gun. .570 balls were very tight with a clean barrel and sometimes frustrating to load. .562 made it a lot more enjoyable to shoot. Also his molds have a built in sprue cutter. He has a website for more information.

coaldust

Pilgrim
Reaction score
My Santa Fe Hawken uses .520, I have no mold for it but still use Hornady swaged round ball. (don't shot much anymore.)

Tom A Hawk

69 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Update from TOW:

David placed an order for the .526 round ball molds. They will come in 6 cavity form.
We have been making the 6 cavity for a few years now and they work really nice. I'm not sure when they will be available, but you'll see them on the web site down the road.
Carole Ripplinger
Track of the Wolf, Inc., 18308 Joplin Street N. W., Elk River, MN 55330-1773

Reaction score
Some .54 caliber rifles and pistols like a ball a little smaller than the usually recommended .530". Lyman used to make a .526" round ball mould, and Lee made one in .527", but these have both been discontinued. Used ones are hard to find.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know who would want to see either or both of these round ball moulds brought back into production. More specifically, who would buy one?

This is just an opinion or interest poll. You won't be committing to anything. You will be allowed to go back and change your mind, and the poll will close in seven days.

Please let us know what you think!

Notchy Bob
There are custom-order guys who will make up any size you want. No need for some company to ramp up production for two or three orders.

Tom A Hawk

69 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
There are custom-order guys who will make up any size you want. No need for some company to ramp up production for two or three orders.
Track of The Wolf has researched and believes there is sufficient interest to have molds made. A 6 cavity mold for $60 sounds like a good deal to me.

Notchy Bob

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded to the poll, regardless of how you “voted.” A nod of appreciation is also owed to @Tom A Hawk for his efforts toward getting this mould in production. It looks like Track of the Wolf will sell at least 16 of them as soon as they hit the shelves!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob