• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

polishing the bore ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just acquired a GM drop-in barrel for a TC, it was cutting patches, I could only get a 5" group out of it at 50 yards. I used a oiled green scotch bright patch with 50 strokes, followed by a patch saturated with JB bore paste and 100 more strokes. I haven't tested the gun yet but the previous barrel I treated this way went from 5" groups to a 1" group at 50 yards and stopped cutting patches.

On all the ML rifles I build or own I run 4/0 steel wool down the bore 25 to 50 times before I use them on a build. After the gun is built and before it is shipped I will do this process again but only about 10 times and give the bore a LIGHT coating of a GOOD gun oil on a clean patch. Works for me.

Has anyone used automobile compound on a tight patch? You can get two different grits and it works well.

I use toothpaste on a bronze bore brush to clean the oil out of new barrels, Automotive buffing compound to lap lightly pitted bores, and lapping compound and lead slugs on badly pitted bores. I have also used the scotchbrite to clean out bores that have been "seasoned".

Just curious how you get a green scotch brite pad down the bore? On a wrap around jag? Or a slotted patch jag?
Thanks
Kevin

Use the next size down cleaning jag with cut to length pad wrapped around it. Tight fit but that's what you need.

I use 0000 for new barrels. The number of strokes depends on the tooling marks in the barrel. I use a bore scope to check out the barrel. I have tried the green and red pads but they don't cut as well in a barrel as the 0000. The steel wool can be wrapped on the brush to make it very tight as needed.
I use JB paste to scrub out the barrel preservative in factory rifles like the Lyman GPR. Almost everything coming from abroad has that stuff in the barrel. I learned to remove this coating when coaching kids air rifle teams. Most bore cleaners won't touch it. Do to color lots of folks confuse it with rust.

Do any of you guys or gals use JB compound or any other agent to polish the bore of your BP rifle ?
Years ago I purchased from Brownells I believe it was, something called Ground Ruby Bore Polishing Compound. Gets the job done real quick. The label has long since fallen off the bottle so I can’t give you any more specific information about it.

A maroon scotch bright pad will remove a lot of metal, I would go with green as well.

I cut my green patch to about 1" square( I start bigger and keep trimming until it will fit), and am pretty sure I use a .45 jag in a .54 barrel.

Back