• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

POI vs POA of 10ga double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After working up a Turkey load in my 10ga Pedersoli I noticed pattern after pattern always would shoot about 3"-4" off center towards the barrel side it was fired from? Is this normal? I've heard of filing muzzle and such and would rather not do that! I've also read somewhere how barrels are designed to shoot center at 40yds and will be off to one side or the other at lesser ranges? Gun has 2 beads and with my 1.25oz field loads it'll shoot center height but with my 1/2oz heavier turkey loads I have to "snowman" smaller front bead on larger rear bead and then block out head of turkey target so pattern hits up in vitals. I'm using 1.75oz of mixed shot and 80gr ffg T7. Penetration is good at 30yds which is my personal max with gun and it gives me over 10 pellets consistently in vitals every shot. Any help or insight would be great.

I had one, at 30 yds left shot 8-10" left right shot 8-10" right. Sold it. I heat one can file the bore edge to direct the pattern? someone who knows will check in soon

I've also read somewhere how barrels are designed to shoot center at 40yds

What you are referring to are doubles where the barrels have been 'regulated' to shoot to the same point of impact at a given distance. You will find regulated barrels only on high end (usually only VERY HIGH END) shotguns. If that is very important to you, spend $50,000.00, or more, :shocked2: with Holland and Holland and get one made to your specs. Or, learn yer gun and 'kentucky' your point of aim to accomodate for where each barrel shoots.

I tried the KY thing for a few years, couldn't deal with it (my ol man was from KY and was a pro at "KY Windage"). I wanna hit where I aim which is where I wanna hit. Couldn't deal with wanna hit 8-10" to the left/right :idunno: If it was single barrel I mighta coulda tried harder (would NOT have bent the barrel) but trying to remember front trigger left etc etc was too much "in the heat" of the hunt.

So your right barrel shoots right?
If so look at the muzzles, beads closest to you, remove with a good flat file .030" from the right hand side of the muzzle to half way across the diameter.
Now test and if hapy and finish.

B.

Both barrels shoot slightly low and slightly towards their orientation on the gun from center. Left barrel is low and left. Right barrel is low and right. I've read a lil more about filing down a lil off the inside of the barrels taking off a couple thousandths of the inner race on the side you want pattern to drift towards? Any validity to it?

I never touched the bores sir, just the barrel ends/muzzles.

If it is low too then as my instructions but adjust any filing towards the lower edge.
So as you look at the muzzles, beads towards you, file the right barrel at about 1-2oclock to the centre of D.

If ever you look at English made doubles you will often see how this has been done to offer some regulation!

B.

I dunno how you are shootin that iron but it is a point & shoot shotgun.
If you are trying to shoot it like one would shoot & aim a rifle, there will be disappointment.
With the way that thing shoots from the aim I would cover the target with the barrel that I was shooting & forget about the brass bead up front.
Straight up to the shoulder & eye & shoot onto the target with a moving barrel, no hold, hold, breath, aim, fire. Just up & bang as soon as the target is covered.
O.

So your recommending to adjust muzzles by "filing" away metal from the direction opposite where I want it to shoot? If looking at barrels straight on I assumed I'd have to target the 9-12 o'clock on the left hand barrel(shouldered) to bring it up and in and on the right hand barrel(shouldered) I'd focus on the 12-3 o'clock to bring it up and in?

Getting confused!

The principle is that the longer side of barrel offers a measure of drag and the shot charge is steered in favour to the long side of barrel.
So basically we shorten the part of barrel at the muzzle at the same place the shot is going.

:doh:

I totally agree with you. I do however not like having to basically block out the head of a turkey I'm trying to kill since they do move unlike a paper target at thhe range. I like the analogy..."apple on a post". Turkeys head is the apple...my front bead is the post.

Britsmoothy said:
Adopting a head up position maybe all that is required.

Blotting a target out in theory sounds easy. In real life it is very difficult!
Agree that a head up position will change POI & pointing rather than aiming will couple well with it.
Many of my targets are not apple on stick but instinctive point, swing & lead on rising, crossing & falling targets, running & flying, gun always moving & hosing lead. This means that the actual target can be below, above or out to the side of the gun front sight aim point. Looking for a collision of target & shot as they both move.
OP. Go out into the yard & grab the garden hose with a nozzle on it. Turn the water on flat out & try hitting targets with it. Hose the dog as he runs about. Your shot gun works on the same principle, it is a shot column that sweeps & flows.
I think that you are seeing it more like shooting a rifle.
O.

Both barrels of my Pedersoli 10ga will shoot quite low if I sight down the rib, aiming time a rifle. If I just bring the gun to my cheek, head up, I will see plenty of rib and it shoots where I look. GW

Since both barrels are shooting low it could be a stock that doesn't fit you well. If you know a gunsmith familiar with shotguns take it there and have him check the fit on you. I apologize for using this as an example but I have an unmentionable double I use in another shooting game. I was hitting the targets high and if I got careless I shot over them. I cut 1/2" off the pull, 3/8" off the nose of the comb tapered back to the top of the butt. added 8 oz of lead under the buttplate and couldn't believe the difference. The gun shot where it was pointed and the reduction in felt recoil was significant. Stock fit is everything in wing shooting. Note this doesn't address shooting to the sides, just the vertical problem.

All good points of view, however, this gent is shooting at a stationary bird!
It is a valid point he could shoot head held high and at a stationary bird.
However, for what ever reasons this gent chooses he preferes to sight the gun with a low head then he is going to have to make some alterations.

B.

Britsmoothy said:
Getting confused!

The principle is that the longer side of barrel offers a measure of drag and the shot charge is steered in favour to the long side of barrel.
So basically we shorten the part of barrel at the muzzle at the same place the shot is going.

:doh:

Agree. That seems like a risky thing to do to a shotgun. Might work but I don't believe a beginner should attempt it. If not done right or the procedure doesn't work, you can't put the metal back. :shocked2:

Back