• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pocket Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blancard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well kinda. It really requires deep pockets and suspenders :grin:

]Pocket Walker[/url]

Its an Uberti Walker. I cut the barrel down to 5", added a new front sight and gave it an aged, patina finish. The stubby loading lever looks like it would be pretty useless. What looks like another barrel propping up the pistol is actually an extension tool that slips over the loading lever to provide leverage. Its an easy, simple solution to the short loading lever problem.

That's certainly unique. It reminds me of a Russian Obrez (Mosin-Nagant cut down to a pistol). Have you experimented with how small of a powder charge is needed to get optimal velocity? I feel like a full powder charge will produce an impressive fireball, like the Obrez.

A full load of powder burning outside the barrel would surely set the bad guy's clothes on fire! :haha:

Interestingly weird :idunno: :thumbsup:

Dave

I read the title and all I could think was "must have awfully big pockets".

I'd love to see pics or video of that being shot with a full charge.

It could be a pocket ripper if I tried to pull it out real quick. But as big and heavy as it is, it won't be moving very fast.

I just finished it the other day and have not yet had a chance to get to the range. But I suspect that anything over about 40 gr. of 3F will be blown out the barrel. But even with that load, I expect to see a nice fireball :grin:

Love it ! I'd like to see the flame coming out that barrel. Looks like a nice blaster !

That's a very nice job, well done!
What's left is still hefty enough to reduce the recoil and muzzle rise of heavier loads.
That should be especially beneficial for shooting conical bullets too.

Great job!
With that shortened loading lever, it should stay in place, when shooting. My Walker would not hold the loading lever in place.
Also as shortened, it shoul carry a little better.
There is no practical way of carring a Walker without falling over.
Please let us know how it shoots.
Old Ford

I realize that its not for everybody and that's ok. it serves my purpose. I did the standard Walker loading lever latch mod, so it holds quite a bit better than before. With a much lighter loading lever, I think it will hold fine. I did the same mod on a standard ASM Walker and it worked well.

Perfect barrel length for that type of pistol. Not useless at all. "Horse" pistols were used at extremely close range. Shooting from horseback mandated getting "saber" distance anyway. Don't need 9 inches of steel to make a hit at that range. If you had a full sized Walker...you might as well shoot a revolving carbine!

The loading lever is pretty useless though.

Dan

I think that gun should be in a movie. :thumbsup: Perhaps one set during the California gold rush.

Yeah, the loading lever is useless by itself. But with the extension tool I made, it works fine. Just need to carry it in my kit. You can see the tool better here:

It would be cool to see it in a movie. If nothing else, it would do well for adjusting the attitude of surly bartenders :grin:

With that length of reloading arm no one is about to reload that gun in the field----less' he's the fingers like a pair of locking pliers. "Doc" :hmm:

Looks to be as pratical as the other "pocket" pistols of the time but with a lot more punch, a shoulder holster rig would go well with that pistol, nice workmanship.

It does kind of look like a piece of barrel, but its not. Just a piece of cold rolled steel that has been drilled to slip over the stubby lever. But it does have a similar patina.

Calling it a pocket pistol may be a stretch. A shoulder holster would be a much better way to carry it.

Back