• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poachers Of The Georgian Period Beware

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Enclosed is a image of a restored trip wire gun which became illegal to use in 1824 which maybe of interest to some members .Used by the large English estates to deter poaching also used in grave yards against grave robbers .
Feltwad
P1130160.JPG

Enclosed is a image of a restored trip wire gun which became illegal to use in 1824 which maybe of interest to some members .Used by the large English estates to deter poaching also used in grave yards against grave robbers .
Feltwad
View attachment 114476
Scared me. I am from georgia here in the states. I was like uh oh......

Records show that these guns were set on footpaths or tracks through a woodland gateways etc these were private estates and trespassing was not allowed They were set at a height of mostly 3 foot from the ground with three wires set at different angles the gun would swing to the position from which it was pulled and discharging the gun . They were not meant to kill a trespasser but to main the person with many dying later from gangrene no doubt some would has lost their manhood .The same practise applied to grave yards to deter grave robbers .they were gruesome things and many innocent people were maimed making them become illegal to use in 1824 but the steel jaws man trap was still allowed which was just has bad .
Feltwad

1642086468717.png

I went to the fithops.com site after seeing the earlier image and found these. SO, have any of you tried using these as priming caps on percussion guns? They're selling 3 packs of these for $5 and they're plastic, so they may stretch and hold onto percussion nipples better. I'm curious to hear any results.

They must have had better luck with those in keeping the pan powder dry during humid or inclimate weather. I can't see the effectiveness for more than a day after being set. A trespasser hears "Klatch" and knew it was his lucky day.

Back in the 70's i used the plastic caps on a derringer I had. They worked fine. I tried again about 10 years ago and could not get them to ignite my rifle.

View attachment 114630
I went to the fithops.com site after seeing the earlier image and found these. SO, have any of you tried using these as priming caps on percussion guns? They're selling 3 packs of these for $5 and they're plastic, so they may stretch and hold onto percussion nipples better. I'm curious to hear any results.
Yes, I have and I have found that if you add a small pinch of fine powder into the nipple you will get about 90% ignition.
They are too small for a standard nipple so you got to work them on and stretch the plastic without tearing it.

View attachment 114630
Yes they will work but they need a little extra priming powder held in with hairspray. Better than nothing but just so

Back