• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plum barrel brown refinisher

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jime444

Pilgrim
Reaction score
not sure where to post this. I recently acquired a nice flint target rifle, custom rifle that needs to be re-plum browned. Also a sight dovetail filled. I want a true plum brown, similar to a “God forbid” Pedersoli finish. Anyone out there that could help me find a excellent barrel browner finisher? I’ve got several firearm barrels that need some TLC. Thanks in advance. Jim

Last edited:
Just want the look of a plum brown traditional finish; if it’s ttruly a cerakote on Pedersolis guns, it’s a damn nice finish. I’d be proud to have it on my rifles.

The BC plum brown that I used on my CVA Mountain Rifle kit in 1976 still looks good after all of these years. Likewise, I have a custom .45 flintlock built in the mid '90s with the same on the lock and barrel, and it still looks great.

I dunno if BC plum brown remains the same formula, but the stuff I used was easy enough for a teenager. Finish the barrel to 320, clean to degrease, heat enough to make water sizzle, and apply the plum brown. It might take a couple of coats, but it will be glossy and rather than rusty and pitted.

I’ve used it and I get a chocolate brown. Not what I’m really looking for. Something more like the plum of Pedersoli rifles, if possible.

I’ve read that the ‘traditional’ plum brown you see on older guns is an original rust blue finish that has aged over time, but to me looks nothing like the modern paint like finish you see on some Pedersolis. The stuff doesn’t wear and get that natural patina like rust bluing, and I’ve seen it chip on edges and corners with no good way to ‘repair’, in my opinion.

You may want to check around for a local shop that does Cerakote coatings and see what colors they offer. Had a place doing it town, but they closed up shop. Another option is a DIY project. Brownells carries a variety of colors, but plum brown doesn’t appear to be an option. There are likely other suppliers out there to be found. CERAKOTE CERAKOTE OVENCURE CERAMIC COATINGS | Brownells

Back