• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Plugging muzzle for browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting setup for applying LMF browning solution to my Rice 40. Cal barrel. Question, is a simple dowel plug at the muzzle and a toothpick at the touch hole sufficient? It seems logically simple…. Or is there another way? Thought I’d better ask than to have another “uh-oh”.

Attachments

• 3C32D88F-06C1-4DD8-9753-81DFF9A0D1B9.jpeg
    3C32D88F-06C1-4DD8-9753-81DFF9A0D1B9.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 72
  • A6AF955D-E049-444A-BA08-381AD9E463D7.jpeg
    A6AF955D-E049-444A-BA08-381AD9E463D7.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 66
Also, I’m assuming that you break off the toothpick… then later after the process, just dig out or punch out the toothpick.
54A410DA-13A6-456E-A773-F06F1839D6D4.jpeg

A wooden plug (or any natural substance) will allow the solution to creep through it, particularly if the grain direction goes north and south. Ever see a wine cork from an older bottle? The wine works its' way through the cork. If you're really worried, go get a set of those expandable rubber stoppers. Or, you can make your own with a threaded rod and a washer and nuts on each end. Rubber being a synthetic material doesn't have a grain running through it.

That's a good tip about putting a little lacquer inside the muzzle to give it a little extra protection.

Personally, I don't bother though (because I just cold brown). Just hang the barrel and wipe downwards with the solution. I want the muzzle face bright anyway, so I don't apply it there, just on the flats.

Oh, and BTW …. I did do a search on this and didn’t find any info on using wood for a plug. Only cork.
The LMF instructions call for a wooden plug for both ends.

There is no need to plug the bore or the touch hole when you are either browning the barrel or rust bluing it - you are wasting your time doing this:rolleyes:. If you are getting the browning solution in the bore then you are using too much of it:oops:. As far as rust bluing the barrel it is placed in hot water after the browning solution has been applied to convert the rust oxides into the blue/black oxide color. Again no browning solution is in the bore. It would be the same as when you are cleaning your barrel with water after it has been shot. ;) :thumb:

There is no need to plug the bore or the touch hole when you are either browning the barrel or rust bluing it - you are wasting your time doing this:rolleyes:. If you are getting the browning solution in the bore then you are using too much of it:oops:
Yep! ….. You are exactly correct. Just got through applying my first coat and I would have to “hose it down” to get solution in the barrel.

However, if the Brown doesn’t get dark enough. I may build a box and steam it in between coats…. I want it dark! Or rather I’m looking for contrast between the stock and barrel. I wanting the barrel to be much darker than the stock.

I use a large wooden peg w/ a reduced end that goes into the bore....the end is wrapped w/ duct tape for better sealing. Because I install White Lightning TH liners, a tooth pick seals the TH. Also use a round aluminum fixture that attaches to the breech plug bolster..... both the peg and the aluminum fixture suspend the bbl on a wooden fixture for easy application of the browning solution which is applied very sparingly......Fred

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 68
Back