• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Plugged Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, kind of like coal mining into the mid 1900's......hundreds of years of experience, unimpeded by technology and progress
Yep, If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Seriously though, all kidding aside, I don't shoot conical bullets or anything but pure lead and the only time I have ever had a stuck ball was when I dry balled (Usually from being to chatty while loading) and 90% of the time trickling a little 4F in the vent blows it out, if not a ball puller has always worked and I never have had to leave the spot where I am shooting. Never had to go home or back to the truck.

I may buy a grease gun someday and try and find a zerk that fits in where my vent is, but even then I don't think I will put a grease gun in my shooting bag.

For you guys who advocate the grease gun, do you carry it with you? Take it to the range with you?

Last edited:
All this blather.....
And still no one can tell me what they have against using the grease gun.

He tried shooting it out,,,, it didn't work,,,,,, but let's keep insisting it is the best (only proper?) way.... 🙄

Sure,,, all balls and bullets are always just so simple to seat on the powder that has been trickled through the vent or nipple 🙄 (until they aren't)

Pretty soon someone is going to suggest that because original barrels were forge welded along a mandrel, the o.p. should cut his barrel lengthwise, pry it open at the cut, remove the lead, place a mandrel inside and forge weld it back together,,,,,,,, just make sure no grease os involved.

Yep, If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Seriously though, all kidding aside, I don't shoot conical bullets or anything but pure lead and the only time I have ever had a stuck ball was when I dry balled (Usually from being to chatty while loading) and 90% of the time trickling a little 4F in the vent blows it out, if not a ball puller has always worked and I never have had to leave the spot where I am shooting. Never had to go home or back to the truck.

I may buy a grease gun someday and try and find a zerk that fits in where my vent is, but even then I don't think I will put a grease gun in my shooting bag.

For you guys who advocate the grease gun, do you carry it with you? Take it to the range with you?
If you took the trouble to read the OP, it is stuck, bad stuck with a ball screw stuck in it to boot.

This isn't a simple dry ball situation...but let's not let facts get in our way.

For those of you following this, look at this thread.. I have proposed an experiment.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/free-barrel-offer-and-proposal.155153/#post-2197018

Have TC Hawkens 45cal percussion with a maxi ball stuck. Ramrod with extractor broke off in barrel trying to remove it. Tried CO2 and putting pyrodex in torch hole and it won't budge. Other than removing breech plug any other ideas>
Yeah, I read it, pyrodex in torch hole :doh:

I don't know how Boone, Wetzel and Kenton survived without a grease gun and pyrodex.

I give up, you win the internet argument prize.

No, I do not. I was a shop owner and gunsmith. I was the one morons brought their stuck ball, stuck ball and puller, stuck rod and 1/2 a t-shirt to have it cleared.
I used grease after the first fail of CO2 to remove the blockage. Grease NEVER failed in 15 years of doing this.

Never would I attempt to shoot the blockage out as who knows what it was loaded with. Trust what the moron said he did no fing way.

At a match I always used the CO2 method. When that did not work maybe 2% of the time. Mostly on other's guns except when distracted.

I got $60 for clearing a bore at the shop. None for helping a competitor on the firing line. I really do not care how they did it, I live in the now and if one is stuck, I will go home if I cannot get it out.

I do care how they did it, I have nothing but respect for our ancestors and how they managed every aspect of their lives in less than ideal conditions. I am still learning from them through original texts.

As stated earlier, I have never not gotten one out or taken it to anyone else to do it for me.

Back