• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Please vote by number

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#2 would be my choice.
Pedersoli are reasonably well built.
GPR is also reasonably well built, dang heavy but nice to shoot.
Traditions are more budget but have a great reputation for accuracy and reliability should not be an issue with percussion.
They all have set triggers

Honestly they will all do the job.
Get whichever takes your fancy.
Both the Traditions and Pedersoli are similar. I do like the 1 piece stock of the Pedersoli better though.

I’m not a fan of traditions. They can make a good gun but is done to be as inexpensive as possible.
The GPRS are great. Both will serve you well and make a traditional looking gun. Only a dyed in the capote thread counter can tell you what’s wrong with the gun. And non of them would throw one away.
I think the blue ridge is just one of the prettiest over the counter guns. So it would come down to looks for me
The guy that puts it together for two hundred, do you trust him to do it right?
Any doubts? Go with two or three if you do.
In this case it’s what you think is easiest on the eyes. All four will put deer in the freezer

Here are my choices again: 1) .50 Traditions Deluxe Kentucky. 2) .54 Cabelas Pedersoli Blue Ridge Kentucky. 3) .50 GPR. 4) .54 GPR kit. Please base your vote on which is the most reliable and most well built. Not so much on caliber or price.
Would ‘pick’ 2 or 3, but ultimately reliability for any will be dependent upon you and how well you maintain the gun. Spending $200 for a vanilla assembly of a GPR kit makes little sense over purchasing a factory assembled one, as the factory assembled one is not that much more than a kit.

Guessing you have already decided what you want and are just looking for confirmation. Buy what you want or like. The gun is for you, not anyone else.

The question is: Are any of them available? You can’t just go out and buy a gun now like you could a year ago. I hope that I’m wrong.

Here are my choices again: 1) .50 Traditions Deluxe Kentucky. 2) .54 Cabelas Pedersoli Blue Ridge Kentucky. 3) .50 GPR. 4) .54 GPR kit. Please base your vote on which is the most reliable and most well built. Not so much on caliber or price.

Reckon my vote would be:
5) The right handed TC .54 New Englander sitting in the rack next to me (in Indiana), because I'm left handed and it needs a better home.

Seriously though, I'm picky about guns I'd hunt with. I want them to look nice but no glitter. If I was going to plunk down the money for serious good looks I'd blow my bat bug crisis checks on a show piece and just never look back. To me there are few things in the world more worthy of love, fondling, gentle care and writing the check than a slender full stock long rifle that shoots round ball like a photon torpedo.

Reckon my vote would be:
5) The right handed TC .54 New Englander sitting in the rack next to me (in Indiana), because I'm left handed and it needs a better home.

Seriously though, I'm picky about guns I'd hunt with. I want them to look nice but no glitter. If I was going to plunk down the money for serious good looks I'd blow my bat bug crisis checks on a show piece and just never look back. To me there are few things in the world more worthy of love, fondling, gentle care and writing the check than a slender full stock long rifle that shoots round ball like a photon torpedo.
So it sounds like you'd pick #2? The .54 Cabela Pedersoli Blue Ridge

So it sounds like you'd pick #2? The .54 Cabela Pedersoli Blue Ridge

Yeah, from the list presented that would likely be a good fit for me. Have you handled one of them yet? Hangs nicely for you?

Are they 15/16" or 1" across the flats? Looked at Cabelas site and Pedersoli for info but didn't see it.

Yeah, from the list presented that would likely be a good fit for me. Have you handled one of them yet? Hangs nicely for you?

Are they 15/16" or 1" across the flats? Looked at Cabelas site and Pedersoli for info but didn't see it.
No have handled one. None in the store. All I've been able to find out about the flat is that they're .888" which is some where between a 7/8 and 15/16".

Last edited:
I’m just trying to find out if any source has these for immediate shipment. Did you say that none are in the store?

I’m just trying to find out if any source has these for immediate shipment. Did you say that none are in the store?
None in store. I talked to customer rep yesterday and then have them in stock ready for shipment 5-10 business days but you have to order on-line

Depending on how you intend to shoot your rifle........if shooting off hand while hunting or target shooting, then go with the Blue Ridge. If you plan on informal plinking from a bench rest then it doesn’t matter. Off hand the Blue Ridge hangs on target very well for me. I own Hatfield’s,Blue Ridge, Frontier, and the Lyman GPR ( among many others!) plus there is just something beautiful about a long rifle!! Greg

Latest posts

Back