• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Please vote by number

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

40 Cal
Reaction score
Here are my choices again: 1) .50 Traditions Deluxe Kentucky. 2) .54 Cabelas Pedersoli Blue Ridge Kentucky. 3) .50 GPR. 4) .54 GPR kit. Please base your vote on which is the most reliable and most well built. Not so much on caliber or price.

If I vote I would like to know your ability to put a kit together if build quality is a consideration.
Further, What do you intend to do with it? Re enact, Still hunt, go trekking etcetera.
Lets just say I've never built a rifle from a kit. Deer hunting in Indiana and target shooting. I did have someone offer to build the GPR kit for me for 200

Deer hunting in Indiana means little to me sorry.
Kinda like saying shooting roos in the Riverina.
Walking stalking or sitting? What is the typical distance you shoot?
How far and long do you walk?
I am very much no one wants to carry a heavy rifle or shoot a light one.
As I carry more than shoot I like light.

Hmmm, $200 for about 40 to 50 hours of work seems very cheap. What other work has the kit builder done? Have you seen a completed build from this assembler? To what level of completion will the rifle be done?

For deer hunting and target shooting, the 50 caliber would be my choice. Flatter trajectory for target shooting and sufficient power for hunting deer. If you are new to hunting, then it would be the 54 caliber rifle and probably the #2 Pedersoli Frontier in 54. All will be reliable and effective for your, @lonewolf172, intended purpose. It is getting difficult to locate Italian manufactured rifles right now. Looking for used is an option also.

Between the listed choices, the Pedersoli 54 cal would be my 1st pick. The Pedersoli rifles are usually better quality than the Investarms/Lyman GPR rifles of late. The Signature rifles seem to be getting much better reviews, but, that's because they are made by Pedersoli. And, you're looking at a $200 price bump.

I would go 4), if the person really KNOWS what he's doing. I have a .54 gpr and it is a tack driver and a deer killer. It's even an elk killer. Zero ignition problems. However, if the guy doesn't know how to mate the lock parts in the kit, and inlet the lock into the stock, then you might struggle with ignition problems. I'd only go with the kit if the guy can do it as good or better than the factory. Mine is a factory gun, and there is no end to the happiness that gun gives me, whether shooting at the range or hunting, or woods walking and stump shooting. I believe mine weighs 9.5 pounds.

#2 would be my choice.
Pedersoli are reasonably well built.
GPR is also reasonably well built, dang heavy but nice to shoot.
Traditions are more budget but have a great reputation for accuracy and reliability should not be an issue with percussion.
They all have set triggers

Honestly they will all do the job.
Get whichever takes your fancy.

Latest posts

Back