• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please vote by number

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#4. But try to find an older kit if you can. Not the "new" line they put out.
I agree. Pedersoli's fine, but there've been a couple operational changes to the Signature GPR that I don't prefer, plus cosmetically it lacks the extra attention the original Interarms version had. It was a surprise to learn Pedrsoli returned to a leaf mainspring rather than continue with the longer-lasting coil version, & then "promotes" it as more authentic. Sure, it's more authentic, but no one but the owner would see it; & no one but the owner would rely on it. The forend cap is smaller, thereby reducing amount of steel & a wee bit o' weight being used. The Signature GPR is still a great rifle; but comparing it to the two older versions I have, I'd feel I was paying a higher price for a little less quality. Obviously, others "out there" like 'em; also obviously, I'm not an expert. Just my opinion that they implemented changes where they weren't necessary.

An interesting discussion, to me, age has got to enter into this. When I turned 50 I got a Thompson Center left-hand percussion kit, nice gun to shoot got a few deer with it. When I turned 65 I got a flintlock Lyman left-hand deer Hunter, A fun gun to shoot, works pretty darn good. Even got an Antelope with it. When I turned 81 I got me a nice traditions percussion, right-handed that weighs 5 3/4 pounds. That was the reason I bought it. Offhand had just about to become impossible with the first two, not really easy with the last, but could be done. I liked them all, and still take them out once in a while when I can shoot off a padded bench. They are all 50 caliber, 1 in 48, perfectly adequate for deer an antelope at the range I shoot, takes a little less lead to make a round ball and 50 grains of powder will do most anything I need to do.
Squint

None in store. I talked to customer rep yesterday and then have them in stock ready for shipment 5-10 business days but you have to order on-line
Shipping containers from Italy and Europe in general are scarce currently. China, our most favored trading partners are bidding for the containers and the vessels that carry them... And they’re willing to pay more than the Europeans can afford. Do you miss him yet?

Here are my choices again: 1) .50 Traditions Deluxe Kentucky. 2) .54 Cabelas Pedersoli Blue Ridge Kentucky. 3) .50 GPR. 4) .54 GPR kit. Please base your vote on which is the most reliable and most well built. Not so much on caliber or price.
#3.I have a .54 that I use for deer hunting in next door Ohio and it is perfect for the task.

Fully inletted kits are easy tp put together! One of the easiest to assemble was the old Thompson Center kits, though they are now hard to find. Pedersoli kits are also easy to put together. Don't be afraid to build such kits, and you certainly don't need to pay someone else to do what you can easily do yourself.

Here are my choices again: 1) .50 Traditions Deluxe Kentucky. 2) .54 Cabelas Pedersoli Blue Ridge Kentucky. 3) .50 GPR. 4) .54 GPR kit. Please base your vote on which is the most reliable and most well built. Not so much on caliber or price.
I've never had a Traditions gun, so I cannot speak to the quality of the product.

GPR kits are well done, but the quality of the finished rifle will be determined by the builder.

I've personally had both the blue ridge rifle and the GPR. Both are quality products.

My vote would be #2 and #3.

I vote for #2. It would kill any North American game animal. It also has a Round Ball Barrel twist for exceptional accuracy with a Patch Round Ball. From my understanding, the locks are better than the others in question.

"The inhalation of Black Powder smoke and/or that of it's substitutes is HIGHLY addictive".

Okay, @kyle_kalasnik, measure your rilfe's barrel across the flats and the depth of the grooves so @lonewolf172 can make a decision.

Not one of the responders who have a Pedersoli Frontier has measured the barrel across the flats or reported on the depth of the grooves. That information would mercifully end this poll.

lonewolf172, just make a decision.

1 or 2. Entirely because Traditions and Pedersoli use good quality low sulfur steel, with neither lead nor phosphorus added. Makes barrels tough, for when you do something wrong in loading, or the powder just decides to do what it feels like.
American muzzle loading guns all use resulfurized steel, whether plain carbon or stainless. Sulpher and phosphorus, both, made the steel less ductile, promote machinability with nice, short chips. Not at all to the shooter's advantage when something goes wrong.

Or are these things just pretty toys, that really do not throw a ball by a tremendous explosion each time?

I would choose 3, but only IF it was a true GPR and not the new signature series - Lyman let Pedersoli bully them into only offering a 1:48 twist barrel in the .50 caliber rifles versus using a true slow twist barrel / PRB barrel.

Also, I'd ask what is your intended purpose? For example, I have the .50 GPR and use it for matches and general range plinking but am looking forward to using it when I move back east for deer hunting - hunting in Texas is a joke with all the 'game ranches' that want to charge you the price of a new truck to shoot animals in a barrel ... If I ever get the chance to hunt for hogs, elk, or moose (bucket list items) .... I am actually saving my duckets for a custom .58 caliber build.

------

1) .50 Traditions Deluxe Kentucky. Do not like the two-piece stock. If I went the Traditions Route I'd opt for the Pennsylvania rifle instead.

2) .54 Cabelas Pedersoli Blue Ridge Kentucky. Though the .54 caliber has a PRB twist barrel, their .50 calibers do not, so NO on principal. Pedersoli just twists my moccasins with all the 1:48 barrels on their .50 caliber and smaller rifles.

3) .50 GPR. Yes, but only the older rifles with PRB twist barrels. No to the current Signature Series abortion currently offered. These will start drying up soon, so going straight to the source (Investarms) and picking up their Gemmer rifle (GPR) is always an option.

4) .54 GPR kit. Yes, if you have the skills or at least a mentor that can help you out to avoid any pitfalls. If I tried to build a kit on my own it would probably end up looking like a coat rack, or worse .... :rolleyes: :doh:

Latest posts

Back