• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please vote by number

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the votes have it a .54 Pedersoli Blue Ridge but still need just a couple of questions answered by someone who also has one.

Measurements across the flat and groove depth. All I've been able to find about the flat measurements was .888" which actually falls in between 7/8 and 15/16
I would suggest calling or emailing Pedersoli to ask those questions. My Blue Ridge flinter is a .50 and my Frontier is a .36. Neither of my .54’s are Pedersoli’s. Greg

Here are my choices again: 1) .50 Traditions Deluxe Kentucky. 2) .54 Cabelas Pedersoli Blue Ridge Kentucky. 3) .50 GPR. 4) .54 GPR kit. Please base your vote on which is the most reliable and most well built. Not so much on caliber or price.
3/and Since the GPR kit is in the white (very minor fitting and sanding/finishing stock and barrel) 4, if you want a browned barreled rifle. BTW, Lyman is now selling a new rifle based on the GPR but with a 1" barrel called the Great Plains Signature Series, made by Pedersoli. Lyman GPR's is made by Investarms.

I'd suggest either 2 or 3. I've had both and they're both solid. At that point it really boils down to aesthetics, fit, handling and intended use which varies person to person.
Traditions guns seem to me to be just okay. They're functional but I find something lacking when I've shouldered them, can't quite articulate it beyond that, though.

Measurements across the flat and groove depth. All I've been able to find about the flat measurements was .888" which actually falls in between 7/8 and 15/16
This question was asked about a year ago. A member named "Snooterpup" measured the barrel on his Hatfield (same barrel is used I believe on the Hatfield, Frontier, and Blue Ridge) at 0.888", which is 0.013" over 7/8". Unless you're planning on stuffing 200 gr down the barrel, that's plenty thick enough for a 54 cal, IMHO.

http://www.cherrys.com/kevincherry.htmyyou might try contacting Cherry’s with your questions............greg
Thanks. I also sent Cherry an email. It might just be me. I tend to over think things. The barrel is just fine for even stout loads of say 70-90grs of Triple7 FFF. However it would be nice to know ahead of time what the groove depth is before I try to get the barrel slugged and find out that the grooves are really shallow

Pedersoli has recommended loads...These are for the Frontier in 54 Cal...

FRONTIER
Percussione / Percussion Cal Powder charge Max Charge Ball Diameter Patch Thickness
A percussion / Perkussion .54 3,56 55 5,83 90 13,59 .535 round 0,25 .010

I've attached the Pedersoli document. The numbers aren't etched in stone, but you can see that the grooves can't be very deep if they're recommending a .010 patch with a .535 ball.

Attachments

• 602248bde0279108526447.pdf
    682.6 KB · Views: 99
The only option I have personal experience with is the Taditions Kentucky Rifle kit. (mine was an identicle CVA, but .45 caliber).
If you're going to be shooting patched round ball exclusively, get the Traditions, with PDB friendly 1:66 turn rifling.
With a patchex .440 round ball in front of 120 grains Fg or 100 grains FFg real black powder, my CVA shot 1 MOA at 100 yards.
Note it won't shoot conicals as accurately, as they require a faster twist.

Don't get anything that requires inletting from scratch, or that you have to assemble the lock or trigger.
The three different rifle TRADITIONS/ CVA kits I've built required no inletting or adjustments at all.
The locks came pre-assembled, and the drum and nipple lined up perfectly with the hammer.
I also like that Traditions use a patent breech. (so did CVA) The drum (percussion) or vent (flintlock) are screwed into both the barrel and breechplug, locking the breechplug in place. Much stronger than the drum or vent just screwing into the breechplug.

.50 is more than sufficient for deer inside 60~70 yards, with the proper load.
Personally, I consider anything oved 60 yards with a traditional sidelock muzzleloader to be a "long" shot. I'll get closer if the critter is more than 65~70 yards away.

My .50 CVA mountain rifle (28 inch barrel 1:48 twist) liked 140 grains Fg behind a patched .450 round ball. 4 to 5 inch MOA at 100 yards (lighter charges were not as accurate) I never got to try conicals with it.

.54 caliber with proper load is sufficient fof any game critter in the Americas, and Alaska, again inside 50~70 yards or so.

As others have mentioned, don't overlook a used or factory assembled Lyman GPR/Trade rifle.
Pedersoloi makes a good gun. (for the price it daRn well better be.)

Another option might be a used Thompson Center Renegade or Hawken.
If you shop around, you can get a factory Hawken in .54 caliber, not just .45 or .50.
The Renegade's were all .54, if memory serves, but may have a 2 inch shorter barrel than the Hawken.
Note the Thompson Center's came with a conical friendly 1:48 twist.
The discontinued Green Mountain 1:66 round ball twist T/C drop in barrels are about as plentiful as crappie and bluegill teeth on the used market.

I've hunted in Iowa, Missouri, and now Idaho.
I've never hunted in Indiana. or neighboring Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky.
The three states above that I have hunted in were/are "50 yards is a 'long' shot." Is Indiana the same?

Back