• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Please talk me out of a 1861 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought two revolvers an Uberti 1851 London Navy and a Pietta 1860 Army and thought I was good but I just say a Taylor and Company Uberti 18601 Navy on sale and I'm really thinking of buying it but just not sure I need another revolver. I also have an Pietta 1851 Navy and a Pietta 1858 NMA Remington.
So I need help talking me out of buying another revolver.
Can never have to many, go for it.
Love the 1860’s and Taylor’s are extra nice!

The only ones I'd recommend were made in the 60-70 (I only know about uberti). 1861's made after then used the 44 barrel for the 1860 and bored a 36cal out of it. So what you get is a pistol that is very muzzle heavy and doesn't handle like a 1851 !!!
Good luck

You did the right thing asking for advice. You almost talked yourself out of pulling the trigger. There is no such thing as having too many guns.
The fine folks here in this forum will always be available for an intervention should you ever experience doubt when considering a purchase for a fine BP firearm.
Remember the rule of thumb. You can’t do the rule of thumb without a firearm, now can you? The thrill of expecting a new gun purchase is only exceeded by shooting it with a buddy. Enjoy!

The only ones I'd recommend were made in the 60-70 (I only know about uberti). 1861's made after then used the 44 barrel for the 1860 and bored a 36cal out of it. So what you get is a pistol that is very muzzle heavy and doesn't handle like a 1851 !!!
Good luck
Really? I’ll have to check that out once it gets hear and report back on that.

One is a start. Two is a better start. Three is an uneven number so you have to get another to make four. Five is starting to be a collection. Six on up is just more icing on the cake.

Good luck
I think it is the pietta’s that the 1860 army and 1861 Navy use the same barrel just bored different. I have a year old Uberti 1861 and it has the correct length and thickness barrel. It is not muzzle heavy at all.

Well that didn't work. Just ordered it. But thanks anyway.
Two of these dropped into the arbor hole did the trick for my Uberti 61 navy.
45F88EF7-4F37-4B09-BF78-0689B6A84D94.jpeg

At first I thought I had some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder when I wanted to keep buying BP revolvers. After ten or so I quit worrying about it and just went with the flow. Last week I bought my 50th revolver, a really nice used Uberti Walker. (And that’s my sixth Walker.) But I also enjoy cleaning and doing some limited tuning on those that need help then making them available to someone else. When I do that, I only ask for a little money to help with my psychiatrist bills.

Last edited:
Yep!
Next Colt is gonna be a Dragoon horse pistol of some sort.
Cool 😎 . I bought the 2nd model Dragoon cause of the squared trigger guard that looks super classy. You do need to replace the nipples with Slikshots otherwise cap jams WILL be a huge problem. Contrary to what others have said about the squared guard beating up the knuckles, I have shot up to 45 grains of Schuetzen with no knuckle bite and no loading lever drop.

iI just bought two revolvers an Uberti 1851 London Navy and a Pietta 1860 Army and thought I was good but I just say a Taylor and Company Uberti 18601 Navy on sale and I'm really thinking of buying it but just not sure I need another revolver. I also have an Pietta 1851 Navy and a Pietta 1858 NMA Remington.
I don't buy anything from Taylors And Company anymore.

Back in 2020, I ordered a matching serial numbered set of Cimarron 1873, SAA in charcoal blue through Taylor's, I even drove up to Winchester, VA from Florida to make sure I got exactly what I was looking for, yet... many months later, Taylor's send my FFL the wrong ones, they sent me a set of Remington Outlaws and they weren't even consecutive numbered.

IMG_2981[1].JPG

To make matters worse, I discovered this mistake only after my FFL did and had me pay for the background check, I should have checked them first but the FFL didn't bring them out until afterwards.

Luckily they credited me what I paid on my next purchase.

When I called Taylor's and told them what they had done, they actually got indignant and acted like I made the mistake even though I had the original receipt that stated the ones I ordered and not the Remington Outlaws.

I ended up ordering the right ones through my local FFL even though they weren't in matching numbers.

IMG_3018[1].JPG

I will never again order anything from Taylor's & Company...
No.gif

I just bought two revolvers an Uberti 1851 London Navy and a Pietta 1860 Army and thought I was good but I just say a Taylor and Company Uberti 18601 Navy on sale and I'm really thinking of buying it but just not sure I need another revolver. I also have an Pietta 1851 Navy and a Pietta 1858 NMA Remington.
Well, nope. I just can’t do it. Sorry. Buy it! You know you want to!

Back