• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please help me streamline my little collection...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EDITED: Thanks, Eric!

Newbie, here. :)

Late last year, I decided to give muzzleloading a try after reading about it online (and on this forum), so I bought a few rifles. Unfortunately, I really don't have the time to start the hobby. My question is, which of the following rifles might you keep if you could only keep one? (I know next to NOTHING about muzzleloaders or muzzleloading in general, so your opinion and guidance would be greatly appreciated.)

1. Thompson / Center Hawken, 50 Cal. (I remember the seller mentioning that it was an older 5-digit serial number, whatever that means. I just thought it looked pretty.)

2. Austin & Halleck, 50 Cal. (I read somewhere that A&H made a superb quality muzzleloader, and this particular one is in mint condition.)

Personally, I'm leaning toward the Austin & Halleck, but I don't know why.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

ZRView attachment 138521View attachment 138522View attachment 138523View attachment 138524View attachment 138525
Good day. I have one of each and the AH is waaaay nicer than the TC and the TC is mint with pretty wood. Keep the AH and be happy. The only negative about my AH is the weight; [it's a bit muzzle heavy for a deteriorating old guy]. However, you need to study or find a seasoned ML shooter to guide you a bit. It is a great hobby but can be intimidating and even dangerous. I have been building and shooting Muzzle Loaders [from kits] for about 60 years. I still learn something from this forum every day. Polecat

T/C has a better lock and trigger mechanism. The parts are readily available and cheaper if you need to ever replace anything.
My experience is exactly the opposite, LOL! But maybe it's because I had the A&H flintlock and the 1st generation T/C flintlock cock had an absolutely ATROCIOUS geometry to it. If you also note ... the T/C and Lyman flintlocks 'were so good' that another company started making drop-in replacements to replace them ... just because they 'were so good' , haha!

The A&H to me also has a better breech design, in that it is a true flat-face or squared off breech plug at the end of the barrel, making it easier to clean and more readily convertable to be a flintlock.

I actually found it to be a superior arm and quaity of build to that of a T/C or Lyman in every respect, but mine admittedly was an early one with superb wood. She was an A&H flintlock and I only sold it as it was RH'd and I'm a lefty. Sure I can shoot it ... but I'm just trying to stay with RH'd rifles for now, at least for the hunting 'rock locks'.

Late last year, I decided to give muzzleloading a try after reading about it online (and on this forum), so I bought a few rifles. Unfortunately, I really don't have the time to start the hobby. My question is, which of the following rifles might you keep if you could only keep one? (I know next to NOTHING about muzzleloaders or muzzleloading in general, so your opinion and guidance would be greatly appreciated.)

1. Thompson / Center Hawken, 50 Cal. (I remember the seller mentioning that it was an older 5-digit serial number, whatever that means. I just thought it looked pretty.)

2. Austin & Halleck, 50 Cal. (I read somewhere that A&H made a superb quality muzzleloader, and this particular one is in mint condition.)

ZRView attachment 138521View attachment 138522View attachment 138523View attachment 138524View attachment 138525
TC every time more popular more fixable and more saleable and parts/upgrades /after market ,just more of everything , not a question they can shoot if you can !/Ed

What ever you decide, keep the peep site. It can be sold separately for better money than you can get for it on the rifle. But, you may find out just how nice that peep is once you do begin shooting in earnest.
I gave my only inline away some years back. It was efficient but didn't have the lure of the sidelock rifles. Either of those will do you just fine. My T/C's always give me exceptional accuracy over the past 35 years.
Where are you from? I imagine someone on this board would be glad to show you the ropes. This is a great hobby and the smell of BP smoke is second to none!

Admittedly, I know nothing about A-H. But I've owned my TC Renegade for over 25 years since I got it new and it's never given me any trouble that wasn't my own fault. A couple months ago I picked up a TC Hawken and have zero regrets.

FWIW, I'd keep the TC

Without a doubt, keep the Austin Halleck .

Back