• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please enlighten me on this beasty - English 12bore smooth rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Described as a very heavy, about 7 kgs, unmarked longarm. A genuine antique.
The sighted, octagonal to round, smoothbore Damascus, .71 calibre barrel, measures 39 inches. The whole arm measures 55 inches. The massive breech, with an appropriate sized bolster, has a width of just over 1 ¾ inches. The bore is in good condition.
L52-01.jpg

https://steelandshot.com.au/product/massive-breech-percussion-elephant-gun-c1870/
How much do I needs it?

I really like the semi-pistol grip with finger grooves. I’ve read about F.C.Selous using such weapons. Aside from courage needed to hunt elephants up close and personal, you had to have courage to pull the trigger on a rifle where the load was measured in grams not grains. Kudos to those brave men of long ago.

Its a very interesting looking gun. Sure looks like a modern restock of refinished antique components. Good quality work. It's not an elephant gun or a piece that would have massive recoil. It's a 12 gauge shotgun.

Last edited:
Yeah I know it is not an elephant gun but it sure ain't a regular fowler.
I am leaning toward maybe for tigers. 72 RB with a heavy charge???
I cannot see why anyone would build a shotgun this way unless there was some law that said nothing over 12g and they wanted 2oz or larger loads.

Waterfowl with a heavy load
WINNER!

Yes that's NOT a gun for dangerous game. IF it was plain wood without carving I'd say "market hunter", but the wood is too nice for a working man's gun.
It's a better bet the gun is for use where punt-guns were outlawed, or the hunter was in a blind or wading in high reeds (needed quick elevation).

LD

Nothing about that says "English" to me. From the many characteristics of the stock to the details of the hammer, nothing is consistent with an English longarm. Doesn't mean it's not interesting though.

Thank you all.
That makes a lot of sense.
Looks like it could have been a bank gun depending on what that thing missing (maybe a trunnion or swivel) from the forend is.
Either way a bit rich for a single barrel shotty.

Back