• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please don't yell at me. It's just a question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forty_caliber

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Kibler kit due to arrive in a week or so and have been (over) thinking about the assembly. I have the option to use an alternate finish on the metal parts through my local gunsmith. Has anyone tried ceracote finishes on BP rifles? How would it hold up over time?

I realize it is anything but traditional but setting aside HA/PC thoughts would the rifle be better off with this finish?

I think Pedersoli use a similar finish on some of their rifles.
I suppose it may reduce the chance of external rust but realistically it is internal rust that you need to worry about.
I don't know and doubt if Cerakote is used inside the bore.
I can't see any reason it would not last. I can't see any good reason to do it either.

At the end of the day it is your gun and yours alone.
I think Cerakote is something that can be added later so you have the opportunity to delay its application and decide if it is necessary.
The other potential area of concern would be the flash hole. Will Cerakote close it up or make it smaller? How will this effect reliability?
Are you talking just the barrel or the lock/Frizzen as well? Will the frizzen work if Cerakoted? How do you get around that? Just Cerakote the rest or not Cerakote the face of the frizzen?

I have a couple CeraCote'ed firearms. One being a modern muzzleloader. These are factory finishes, not bubba gun smith done. I would NOT willingly ever pay for a CeraCote finish. It is NOT as durable as the marketing would lead you to believe. Nor is it a rust proof as you have been led to believe. They look fine on a modern weapon but in my opinion they look out of place on a traditional arm.

These firearms came that way from the factory and the coating did not play into my decision to purchase. But based on heavy usage (not abuse) I will not be buying anymore firearms with these finishes. I am of the opinion that it is likely cheaper for large companies to use these finishes than blueing and that's why it has become so prevalent in todays market.

I have cerakote on one of my muzzleloaders and it is great. If you hunt for days at a time in crappy weather busting through thick bush like I do you notice the difference. I haven't had any issues with it.

I wouldn't stress on the traditional PC side of things. The coating on your gun is one small part of shooting and hunting, and there are many other aspects that few if any do as they did in bygone days.

Unless you anticipate using it in some really nasty weather I wouldn't. One of the worst things about Cerakote it's very hard to remove so if you change your mind bead blasting would be one of the few options. Kiblers are really nice looking rifles somehow Cerakote doesn't come to mind for a finish.

I have not tried this finish on a ML. If you are simply worried about durability and protecting the metal, rust browning or rust bluing does a great job of being a durable finish.

Fleener

I'm chiming in late here but the bottom line is like you stated It's yours.

I believe you have made a great decision to brown as you can always ceracote later if you decide you really want it. Much easier to remove browning than to remove ceracote down the line

I believe seeing a high quality longarm like a Kibbler ceracoted would be enough to make an old man cry, and it just ain't right to make an old man cry ! <G>

Thanks
O.R.

40....glad you decided on a traditional finish. Your choice of Laurel Mtn Forge browning agent is a good one. Just follow their direction sheet (which you can get online) to the letter. You'll get a great looking finish that is durable. And over time, if a little wears and a nice patina develops....well, that's what these guns are supposed to look like! :thumb: For your smaller parts I'd recommend a hot browning agent for ease of application.

If you want to up the (protective) ante from browning, you could blacken the barrel. To do that, do your traditional cold-browning first, and then cover it with heavy used motor oil and scorch it with a torch. A blackened barrel with a greyed lock makes for a very attractive combination.

Pedersoli use a similar finish on some of their rifles.

I emailed Pedersoli about the browning of their Kentucky rifle barrels, due to comments that they were Cerecoted. Their response was that they are not Cerecote finished but browned using a chemical process. I left it at that.

Patriot

If you want to up the (protective) ante from browning, you could blacken the barrel. To do that, do your traditional cold-browning first, and then cover it with heavy used motor oil and scorch it with a torch. A blackened barrel with a greyed lock makes for a very attractive combination.
I have not heard of this. Pictures? Video?

Shipper's book "Engraving Historical Firearms" has a whole bunch of pictures and describes the process very well.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I have some of the same misgivings about cerakote but looking for the best of the best possible outcomes forces me to at least think through options.

I'm going to go with Laurel Mountain barrel brown for the finish as originally planned.

great choice.

Back