• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please don't shoot me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but I am going to ask anyway..scopes on blackpowder rifles... I was thinking of putting one on my tc omega to use during rifle season (bp season you can't use a scope) mostly for those early morning/late evening hunts here my old eyes don't work as well. I just have no idea what to look for as far as low power but great at bringing in the light. I do have a .54 that is my project rifle that I plan on doing a old fashioned sling and hope to find someone who can redo the stock (its pretty plain looking)
Well, I hope you ducked😉

54521817_1972553512874305_4114801105924259840_n.jpg

If I recollect right - again - the American Civil War, in which telescopic sights were used by both sides, actually ended in 1865, making any scope of the similar configuration a possible topic for conversation on the forum, which deals with 1865 and previous.

And THIS comment - 'You can keep being the frauds that you are!' is not going to win any friends in THIS house, that's for sure.

I haven't read the whole thread and honestly, I'm surprised that it's still up. That said, I do have a very good friend who's recently been forced to add a scope to his fullstock Hawken, flintlock rifle. I suspect that more than a few of you would know him, some may have rifles which he's built and probably a fair number of you have been beaten in turkey shoots and other competitions by the man, his ex-wife or his sons. He's 80 now and has macular degeneration which can't be reversed. Keep in mind that he's always hunted with only a flintlock or a traditional bow, regardless of the season, but he now simply can't see well enough to use open sights and he chooses not to use a modern rifle rather than to put a low, fixed power scope on his flintlock. Hey, more power to him. If it allows him another season or two, then good for him.

I dont remember what year i bought my first ML but it has been more than a few years.. When special season were first announced there were a lot of shooters who ran out and bought their first bp rifle. Same thing happened with archery. My point is that if there were a special season for flint gun only i think there would be a surge of sales. The shooting sports needs growth.. not just people buying their first 9mm but actual shooters and hunters. I am no longer a hunter but spend a lot of time at the range burning powder. I think most state game departments have been taken over by liberals who know nothing of the shooting sports. One thing they are very up on is making sure they get every dollar possible out of sportsmen. opps and sportswomen.
Joe in washington (state not the other washington )

Well, surely some maker will make a truly 'period' scope ;)

Yup, Montana Vintage Arms make their own take on the Malcom scope [in three lengths] and a Winchester A5 - and most of the Black powder Unmentionable Rifle Shooting Association guys use them. There ARE others, but MVA's products rule the roost. 100% American-made, too, unlike some of the others that I'm not mentioning.

View attachment 50106

This is what $161000-something buys you. A Genuine Civil War Confederate-owned Whitworth rifle with documentation auctioned this year by Morphey's.

This is NOT a hunting rifle, that seems to gotten a few feathers ruffled higher up the page, but an honest to goodness military sharpshooting rifle for hunting men.

If you listen to what Ian McCollum had to say about the Whitworth was that it was extremely expensive. These were made for wealthy hunters all too often, and those the Confederates bought were the 2nds the wealthy hunters wouldn’t pay for.

Forgot the link:

Last edited:
At 76 I have trouble seeing the sights, so I don't use them. That's one of the reasons that I like smoothbores.
That's why I switched from NRA 600 yard High Power to Skeet when things started going fuzzy about 20 years ago :(. Now all my lead slinging is just for fun on my little 100 yard backyard range. I'm just glad I'm still alive to shoot poorly:thumb:

They will take quail with shot at 20 feet.

I'll bet they would! The bore on mine measures 11/16". I've played with it at the range, and then only with patched round ball. It is surprisingly reliable, and has good spark. I'm pretty much done with hunting, but I do think it would get the job done.

Back