• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Please don't shoot me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're talking scopes and inlines, two things out of bounds on this forum.
You are correct when you say we don't talk about in-line rifles but, telescopic sights existed and were used before 1865, the cutoff date for the things we talk about.

“Scopes aren’t period”
YEAH RIGHT

The mods can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that conversations about the Malcolm scope are allowed because they are period. But comparing a period Malcolm to today's modern scopes that can even feature electronics and computer chips that auto laser measure the distance and calibrate the point of aim for the shooter is kind of similar to saying "GUNS" are period, so why can't we include conversations on centerfires.

but I am going to ask anyway..scopes on blackpowder rifles... I was thinking of putting one on my tc omega to use during rifle season (bp season you can't use a scope) mostly for those early morning/late evening hunts here my old eyes don't work as well. I just have no idea what to look for as far as low power but great at bringing in the light. I do have a .54 that is my project rifle that I plan on doing a old fashioned sling and hope to find someone who can redo the stock (its pretty plain looking)
Don't worry about being shot, we'll just feed ya to the Kraken........ :thumb:

I don’t want one on my guns, but I don’t want a peep sight either. I’m 63 and am able to see my v and blade.
Howsomever I’m not a big excluder for those what have problems. Peep sights help a lot of our shooters.
A magic scope needs find no place on an ml. But a small scope as mounted on a .22,or a pistol a 4X or so may make it possible for some to participate who otherwise would be prevented. I’m ok with needs that can be adapted.

Do a search here in this site for Whitworth rifle and Davidson scope. A few shooters from the South made a lot of folks from the North wish they'd never heard of either gentlemen. General Reynolds at Gettysburg and General Sedgwick at Spotsylvania courthouse were just two of the highest-ranking victims of a sharpshooter, probably shooting a scoped rifle.

Another good video to watch is Ian McCollum's 'Forgotten Weapons' on Youtube - check out civil war sniper/Whitworth rifle.
Thanks for the tip. I had heard of the Whitworth and knew that some scopes were used in CW. I never knew the name of the scope or that they were first developed 30 years before the war.

Off to watch that episode,

1605308288403.png

This is what $161000-something buys you. A Genuine Civil War Confederate-owned Whitworth rifle with documentation auctioned this year by Morphey's.

This is NOT a hunting rifle, that seems to gotten a few feathers ruffled higher up the page, but an honest to goodness military sharpshooting rifle for hunting men.

well I do have one of each, my .54 is a lefty perc and the other one is a inline that I was going to use during reg rifle season as here we can get a tag for doe whitetails that lets you hunt any/all seasons.

[Just joking here]

I have a friend that is REAL traditional
One day we got talking and he said well I love this old smokepole but it is kinda long and heavy for hunting in the brush.
I said, no worries Pard
Let me take it home with me and I will cut the barrel to 16 inches long and re-crown it. Then I will mount a picatinny rail on top and add a red dot.

Thought he was gonna whup me LOL
KC

but I am going to ask anyway..scopes on blackpowder rifles... I was thinking of putting one on my tc omega to use during rifle season (bp season you can't use a scope) mostly for those early morning/late evening hunts here my old eyes don't work as well. I just have no idea what to look for as far as low power but great at bringing in the light. I do have a .54 that is my project rifle that I plan on doing a old fashioned sling and hope to find someone who can redo the stock (its pretty plain looking)
I love a scope on anything but my OCD requires that it be period correct (within reason). I know a TC is not a festidious copy of an original 18th or 19th century gun but if you're going to put a scope on it use something that looks right. Long rifle scope replicas can be had and work wayyyyy better then the originals and it doesn't look like a laser scope and delren combat pistol grip hanging off of old Bess. There's certain unwritten rules that kind of go with what you're shooting.
I have actually seen both AR style and 1911 pistol style muzzleloaders. To me? That's just rediculous. I've also watched guys with absolutely beautiful period correct replicas of 18th century target rifles at the range using all the correct acoutrements and it's just a thing of beauty to watch.

SCOPE IS PERIOD.

PERIOD!!! 😤

Well, so is the self contained metallic cartridge, (invented by Pauly in 1808) and by the time you would have actually seen a scope on a muzzleloader there were far more cartridge rifles out there than there were scopes, but we don't talk about those.
Period correctness is irrelevant when applied unevenly.

Latest posts

Back