• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Playing Hard Ball with your Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Marshall Stanton posted a interesting item on another forum.

The subject was improving the accuracy of his Ruger Old Army .44. He has fire lapped the barrel and I had the feeling that a little more tuning had been done to the gun. He was using rather heavy loads of powder (40 grains) and claimed to be getting 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards using pure lead balls.
What I found interesting was he cast some balls using alloy with one batch at BHN12 and another heat treated to BHN 21.

To quote him a little:
"... I was in for a treat! The round balls that were a BHN 12 shot into a solid one inch at 25 yards, with no flyers, and no stray shots, and loading wasn't that much more difficult than with pure lead round balls. The BHN 21 round balls were a horse of a different color, they were pretty difficult to put down the chamber throats with the ram with their extra hardness, but wow! They shot into under three quarters of an inch at the same 25 yard range! Some fun!..."

Anyone here tried using hardened alloy lead in your precussion revolver?

Yes I have with my 1858 Rem. .44. I cast the balls out of wheel weights. They are a little harder to load than pure lead, but shoot well. I use 20 to 25 grains Pyrodex P. This gun has better accuracy than my .357 with the hard lead balls. At 50 yrds. the round will destroy old concrete blocks. The blocks explode nicely and are easier to haul to the dump!
tongue.gif

Back