• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Playing around in the shop with Aquafortis and maple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was planning on taking my percussion double barrel on a crow hunt in the next few days and decided to make a crow call to help things out a little. I had some what looked to be plain grained hard maple in the bin so thought I might as well use that and stain it like I did my Kibler gun. It turned out with lots of hidden grain and a little curl. Anyway, I didn't know if it was ok to post but thought that it will be a shooting accessory and I finished it old style so moderators please delete if I have over stepped. It sounds great but I am still partial to the all wooden calls that I make and I may go ahead and make a mouthpiece out of the same maple just to make it more appealing to me. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_1541.JPG
    IMG_1541.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 169
Did you make the aquafortis or purchase it some place? Been thinking of using it to stain some knife handles soon

There are some old duck calls that have thin sheet brass reeds but don't really know how far back they go. Im sure that it would work in a crow call also. I make most of my crow calls with wooden mouthpieces but they do still have mylar reeds. It takes a lot of time to get those wooden ones right though and when I made this I was more wondering about the maple body and the aquafortis. Thanks for the compliments!!

Jerry, the Scots have been blowing reeds in their bagpipes for centuries. I was thinking maybe very thin sections of whale baleen -- as used in corset construction -- might have served, or thinned and tapered bamboo.

This is the basic concept of making a call....

The part where the narrator mentions characteristics of the grass and the resulting sound will apply to the type of reed material you use. Balleen is made from keratin (more or less compressed hair-like fibers). Cartilage is made of collagen, but both are fibrous materials. You might be able to shave/thin down the cartilage from a turkey or chicken breast and if you can get it thin enough, it may vibrate well enough to use as a reed.

Back