• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Planning for my Kibler SMR...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveboone

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I learned a lot from building my Kibler Colonial last year, especially patience...I still havea few rough spots on the stock that I should have found and taken care of, and my patch box isnt quite to my liking.
That aside...
I am eagerly looking forward to getting a Kibler SMR, .45 with a cherry stock. I love the look obtained when oven cleaner is applied. Once wiped off, does it need to be neutralized?
I am unsure of the metal finish yet, but am leaning to Kiblers browning solution...it was originally going to be used on my Colonial, but I opted for in the white. I was practicing using the solution on an old CVA pistol, but havent been happy with the results yet...luckily, no harm, no foul so I will keep practicing.
Does the cherry come in different grades also? With maple, it is easy to see the difference with the upgraded wood, I am not sure if there is a similar difference with cherry.
Thanks

A cherry stock with furniture treated with Jax Black would be beautiful. ;)

Somebody did the steel on a cherry Woodsrunner that way and it was gorgeous even with the brass bling.

I too would like to know about wiping with an acid to neutralize(ish) the caustic. I've been experimenting with a name brand purple degreasing liquid and loving the results. I also discovered that a fine scraping after each time the grain is raised significantly increases the contrast and chatoyance of the fine cherry grain.

The packing supports in my SMR shipping box were cherry, I presume scrap from cherry brought in for stock blanks. It's a very light cherry but with very nice and stand out figuring. I'll think you'll like it and create a beautiful rifle from it.

Back