• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plainsman-SASS match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkershul

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been thinking about participating in SASS matches locally and note from the SASS website that there are "Plainsman" side matches.
From my reading of the SASS rules it looks like percussion revolvers are used foo the pistol stage and black powder single shot cartridge rifles and BP cartridge side by side shotguns are used for those stages. Can anyone with SASS experience tell me if I have arms requirements the Plainsman match right?

You've got the basic requirements correct:
From the SASS handbook (found at the SASS website):
THE PLAINSMAN
This event requires two .36 caliber or larger Traditional style percussion revolvers, shot Duelist style.
”¢ Must use a SASS”“legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g., not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle.
Ӣ Must use a side by side, with or without exposed hammers or lever action shotgun.
Ӣ Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun).

Just a heads up, the pistol and shotgun portions of Plainsman stages tend to be pretty similiar to most CAS stages. The rifle portion of the stages, however, can vary wildly depending on the facilities available and the mindset of the person writing the stages. Since the rifles aren't limitted to pistol calibers you may see targets at several hundred yards, then again if the club doesn't have a long range bay available and/or most people in the area tend to shoot plainsman with pistol caliber single shots (ie the handi-rifle) you may be shooting at 25 yards. Showed up at one of the latter with a Sharps in 45-70. The targets tended to get knocked over. Had I known in advance I would have made some really light loads. Bottom line, check in advance with the match director so you know what kind of loads and how many to show up with for the rifle.

Latest posts

Back