• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Plains Rifle Takes its First Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your post here is the essence of what this site is about. Thank you. I enjoyed it a lot. And as others said above, doe meat is tender and not gamey like bucks can get during the rut, and taking does keeps the deer herd in balance with the biological and social carrying capacities. Job well done all the way around, and I couldn’t build a gun like yours if I had a million years

Tizzy wrote: "I built the rifle in the pic from parts obtained on a budget build off of parts obtained off of Ebay."

Reminds me of that old Johnny Cash tune, One Piece at a Time. Lol

Anyway nice looking rifle, good job on the deer. Congratulations.

All, thank you for your replies. The shot on the doe was taken at about 40 yards. Following the shot she ran about 100 yards downhill (made for fun dragging back uphill). The blood trail was very easily followed.
Mike, the blood spot you see on her is the exit hole. She was angled towards me a little more than anticipated..I should have been more thoughtful of the ball's travel path and where the exit would be prior to shot.
Herb, the trigger pull is about 14 1/8" on the rifle.
I hope all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Awesome! Nice rifle, I believe Eliphalet Remington made his first rifle in a similar fashion. Good job!!

Back