• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Plains Pistol pewter foreend cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cerrobend is similar to Cerrosafe. Both are bismuth alloys that melt at temperatures lower than boiling water. The only problem with these alloys is, they are rather expensive.

I used Cerrobend to cast the butt cap for the .40 caliber pistol I made.

Like the Revell plastic Deringer that was mentioned in another thread on the forum, the pistol was based on a plastic model of a dualing pisol.
CASE4.jpg

Hi,
With modeling clay, and empty soup can, and screw type hose clamp and pewter you can find at new-to-you stores you can easily make a pewter nose cap.
You can also use wheel weights, which are getting harder to find ( they make nice nose caps) as more and more tire shops are using steel and zinc tire weights. But if you look you will find enough lead wheel weights to complete your task. Be sure to melt almost three times as much, to get a nice and even pour

I have used clay and heavy paper to cast nose caps and had the clay melt and run all over the gun. It was a mess to remove.

Back