Quantcast

Plains Pistol pewter foreend cap

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen them on a few guns...anyone know where to get them?

Or a source to make them?

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Look up Hoot Al's website and check out his 'pouring a nose cap'. You can pour one yourself using solder or other pewter. Good luck, Geo.

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Cerrobend is similar to Cerrosafe. Both are bismuth alloys that melt at temperatures lower than boiling water. The only problem with these alloys is, they are rather expensive.

I used Cerrobend to cast the butt cap for the .40 caliber pistol I made.

Like the Revell plastic Deringer that was mentioned in another thread on the forum, the pistol was based on a plastic model of a dualing pisol.
CASE4.jpg

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Look up Hoot Al's website and check out his 'pouring a nose cap'. You can pour one yourself using solder or other pewter. Good luck, Geo.
I scoured his web page and didn't find what you were referring to. Any additional info would be appreciated.

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Bing search engine- typed in 'pour nose cap for longrifle-Hoot Al' - the page that popped up listed 'nose cap- Hoot Al rifle shop' at the top.

F.G. Ford

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
With modeling clay, and empty soup can, and screw type hose clamp and pewter you can find at new-to-you stores you can easily make a pewter nose cap.
You can also use wheel weights, which are getting harder to find ( they make nice nose caps) as more and more tire shops are using steel and zinc tire weights. But if you look you will find enough lead wheel weights to complete your task. Be sure to melt almost three times as much, to get a nice and even pour

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have used clay and heavy paper to cast nose caps and had the clay melt and run all over the gun. It was a mess to remove.

Latest posts