• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plain Wood to Pretty Wood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. I am thrilled with the beauty of real wood, how about a 4x curly maple replacement stock? That would bring some serious wow factor, and pride.

Very interesting video. We had an old (1850s) house in Eastern PA that had all the woodwork, doors and windows faux grained. I always wondered how it was done. Looks like one of those processes - like ageing a longrifle - that anyone can do, but very few can to do well.

Semisane said:
I wonder what this guy could do to a Thompson Center gun stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JlGy4fhUQI

If you get bored with the early part of the video, move it to about the nine minute mark.

I have tried this technique on flat surfaces but never on a gun stock. It requires a very artful hand. My work came out looking just like common pine boards. I bought my graining roller at a paint store but I haven't seen them lately. I guess people found that they require more than just a little bit of artistic talent.

It is possible to put faux stripes on a rifle stock but that, too, requires a lot of talent and practice. I took an old stock and practiced striping it several times. Each time it came out looking like a zebra and I had to sand off my striping and start over. I never did get a good looking stripe job. If you want to try putting faux stripes on a plain stock, you need some small artists brushes of various sizes and some leather dye. Look carefully at a stock with natural strips and try to mimic them. It can be done but requires practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am put in mind of the street artist that make the 3D paintings on the ground that look so impressive in a photo but not that interesting in real life. I have tried it & the results got painted over, they looked no where near as good as that.
I have seen some faux striping that looked real good.

I wonder if using an air brush might not aid in getting the effect just right. Model railroaders have been making plastic look like wood since about forever.

Col. Batguano said:
I wonder if using an air brush might not aid in getting the effect just right. Model railroaders have been making plastic look like wood since about forever.

If you have the equipment, why not give it a try. But it is only worth a try if you have the equipment. I sure wouldn't go out and spend the money to get an air brush just to try out the technique. Whatever technique you choose, first carefully study real wood grain in a nice gunstock to see how it looks. Real grain varies in width from one end of any given stripe to the other. Also various stripes each vary in width from their neighbor. Usually the stripes have distinct edges. But, if you are an experienced air brush artist, you darned well may be able to do a good job.

My final striping attempt using artists brushes and leather dye looked pretty good.......from at least 50 yards.... in dim light and then only if you squinted your eyes just right. :haha:

You can always "adjust" your striping job with acetone and steel wool followed by a good sanding, staining and a few new coats of True Oil.

Back