• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Places to get a matchlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No master here Rudyard.
You've made more matchlocks than I've had hot dinners!
Yes, your quote in that old magazine caught my attention and imagination!
Been too busy to start another matchlock, but brought my homemade barrel home to look at, and ask it what sort of a stock it would like!
It doesn't have much choice really, as barrel is of the 1520's style. And, I decided for it, it Has to be a snap tinderlock!
Snaplocks are about as fast as percussion.

I am sure that the snap matchlock is the best for target work causing the least movement ere it goes off . A study of the styles & time periods will reveal all kind of refinements ,like string activated set triggers ,
stocks you could go to sleep on , & ones made well into flintlock times & beyound ,Mostly to compeate in long established matches, and in that not so very different as we do today in MLAIC type events ( Muzzleloaders association International Commitee ) I E ' Worlds' Though they seem fixated on Japonees sorts to suit the limited Japonees teams inability to get the variety of guns most country can have for internal political control reasons . I never made the ring/ hole type serpentine made to use the fungus 'Match" though these seem to have been in use in war going by old paintings . .My last official card or competition target was a 93 score & its a good score but to be in the for sure top scoreing you need' Possibles ' that is best ten of thirteen shots at the large ISU Musket target & inside the 4" or so' Bull'( Basically the standard ISU PL7 target but twice the size ) . Since the matches are at 55 yards Off hand & kneeling inside 30 minets So you want to hold the bull & the 95s wont get you a place . Given that OH hand with a smooth bore keeping the bull is a very wobbley art . unlikley to be attained with the common lock. . I've hunted Deer & ferrol goats with a 54 rifled snap matchlock .Bowls them fine but is a bit more demanding of patience.. The same gun has its 50 cal smooth option though was made with the 54 inititially .40 cal worked but your better with about 40 cal .The plan is to drive a ball so fast its in the ten before it realises its only a smoothbore & the smaller ball achieves this with less recoiling disturbance . Oh & grind your primeing to a snuff like powder. Also you must bear in mind that the human eye tends to react from being sceared by balls of flame So a bit of old tea chest tin or some such to act as a flash shield is worth its wieght in gold . & Pukka is too modest. let us say we both do nice work.
Regards Rudyard

Snaplocks are about as fast as percussion.
IMHO they are FASTER! There's no mechanical delay ... it is a simple thermal reaction between a lit match and chemical explosive ... instant combustion!

There's a reason the Austrian/German target shooters stayed with matchlocks even well after the development of other BP ignition types ... faster 'lock time'.

Source for a non-snapping plain old historical late 1500s . early 1600s style matchlock:
I got mine from Veteran Arms, last February.
It's Indian made. It works! And the price was not bad. Fishtail stock style.
Shoots pretty well in my humble opinion... not rifled of course .... it turns out that if you squeeze the trigger, just like we have all been taught for modern rifles, there is no lock time because there is no click of the sear; there's just the time during the squeeze when the match actually touches powder.

So who's up for a matchlock competition?

How heartening all you fellows getting into match lock shooting clearly its' The new way backwards ' And you will never need suffer from want of flints or caps again , A match for matchlocks why not ?
. Regards Rudyard

Source for a non-snapping plain old historical late 1500s … early 1600s style matchlock … I got mine from Veteran Arms, last February. It's Indian made. It works!
I like the simplicity of this one that they sell!

FA51200E-5170-4205-B5DF-AB4832AA12EE.png

I am going to try gun my hand at making my own! Next Fall … once fishing season is over, LOL!

Simple yes but if you want to hit something small its not best suited , unlike the snap matchlocks will more potentialy at least , & matchcord is unlikly to be unprocurable & if fungus no longer grows then there wont be any us on the planet left to worry about it anyway. Rudyard

Ian Straus,
There Was a shortage of rope in the English Civil War, so they took to hanging folks in the forks if trees.

Also, Many complaints about the bed ropes being stolen from houses to make match.
As Rudayrd says though tree fungus should continue to grow, and any cordage can be soaked in wood ashes, gunpowder or potash to make a good match.

Flint,
Making a target matchlock has long been on my mind! cheek or shoulder stocked with a maybe 30 " barrel, maybe a bit longer,. Nice bone or horn inlays....Snaplock of course!

My recent experiences with my match conversion lock, it has shown its pretty fast..
I can get a good feel when the cord just about touches, then focus, then fire..
No real flinch incurred...

Listen Dear Ones to the voice of one crying in the wilderness! Behold the rise of and resurrection of the matchlock in America. Having tolerated all they can stand of the powers that be, the day swiftly cometh when the lowly matchlock will become the preeminent 'ghost gun' handmade on countless kitchen tables, to assume again it's once prominent place among the smug target shooters and intrepid muskrat hunters across our great land. See now the providence and handiwork of the beguiled masses in espousing a once great system to adapt to the needs of our time. Faith preceeds the miracle, and a little child shall lead them.

Well Im'e half a world way & though its mid winter I cant be travelling even if I wanted getting too old & My wife needs me here . The Idea is fine but Im,e effectivly lame at 77 & Pukka Bundook might be closer in Alberta The US International teams might be usfull to contact Google MLAIC might be of interest for you they have two Matchlock events .
Regards Rudyard

Back