• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Places to get a matchlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. Great. I'm sure it will turn out to your liking. Larry is a real artist.

Rick
Larry is crazy fast
24DA6085-900D-453A-B3CA-FDE6274D9422.jpeg
905429FC-08EF-45D4-86D8-86BF2AC22EE5.jpeg

Not a perfect replica, but certainly unique, in the spirit, and very pretty. Thank you for recommending him!

WOW!! Very nice. That turned out looking great. Congratulations.

Instead of using a traditional powder horn strap of cotton/leather, maybe use colored, cotton rope with knotted ends. And if you don't need an exact amount powder charge spout (since many of us pour our powder from the horn to a separate measure for safety reasons) you can have a brass spout made similar to this. All to give the horn that earlier Landsknecht style look to it. LOL
002 (Medium).JPG

Wondering what I'm missing here. I was watching this at auction in Switzerland, I didn't bid because I figured it would be out of my price range, but it sold for the opening bid of $300! It was advertised as German made circa 1620 in Suhl, cal. 17 mm. 108cm round barrel, with "D" mark. Lock plate with "Suhler Henne" mark, rotating pan cover, wooden ramrod with iron tip, iron furniture. Walnut stock. Total length: approx. 149 cm.

1620suhl.jpg
1620suhl1.jpg

Even for a reproduction, that is a good price. These are the only photos that were available. Am I missing something, or is there an obvious reason it went for so low?

I see no reason for it to sell so low, Cyten. It is maybe a reproduction, as all the screws look fresh, but the serpent and other metalwork look very right in style. Perfect in fact!
The stock too has the correct lines.
without more pictures it is hard to say for sure, and I know that some armouries still have these that look about new!
The wood -worm in the stock has me wondering..... a repro with ageing do you suppose?
Very clean original?
There is nothing that says reproduction, apart from being in such clean condition!

Agree with Pukka. Looks legit to me.

Once in a great while you can get a real bargain at an auction. For whatever reason, the potential buyers for this type of item just don't show up to the auction.

But it may have been ok you didn't bid and win the item. You would then need to figure out how to get it shipped from Europe to the U.S. From Switzerland even a gun made before 1870 will likely require a government permit. Then a "specific" freight forwarder that will probably charge you an arm and leg to properly pack and ship it - especially a long package. It would easily double the price of the gun including the buyer's premium.

That's why I only bid on gun locks and accessories in European auctions. It's just not worth the hassle and cost.

But if I had a crystal ball and knew I could buy this gun for $300.00 I would have likely taken the risk. LOL

Rick

Agree with Pukka. Looks legit to me.

Once in a great while you can get a real bargain at an auction. For whatever reason, the potential buyers for this type of item just don't show up to the auction.

But it may have been ok you didn't bid and win the item. You would then need to figure out how to get it shipped from Europe to the U.S. From Switzerland even a gun made before 1870 will likely require a government permit. Then a "specific" freight forwarder that will probably charge you an arm and leg to properly pack and ship it - especially a long package. It would easily double the price of the gun including the buyer's premium.

That's why I only bid on gun locks and accessories in European auctions. It's just not worth the hassle and cost.

But if I had a crystal ball and knew I could buy this gun for $300.00 I would have likely taken the risk. LOL

Rick
With the Dollar’s power VS the Euro recently, it wouldn’t be a bad time to stock up on some European auction items

Cyten, you are in Armenia, right? Switzerland isnt in the EU and wouldn't have applied in this case, but is it a hassle for you to import muzzleloading firearms from EU countries?

Wondering what I'm missing here. I was watching this at auction in Switzerland, I didn't bid because I figured it would be out of my price range, but it sold for the opening bid of $300! It was advertised as German made circa 1620 in Suhl, cal. 17 mm. 108cm round barrel, with "D" mark. Lock plate with "Suhler Henne" mark, rotating pan cover, wooden ramrod with iron tip, iron furniture. Walnut stock. Total length: approx. 149 cm.

View attachment 183574View attachment 183575

Even for a reproduction, that is a good price. These are the only photos that were available. Am I missing something, or is there an obvious reason it went for so low?
Maybe the' 7 shot beetle' put people off , but you wouldn't get a barrel for that . I think you wrote re something but I could'nt get to reply it wasn't walnut but gun related & now I cant recall . Did the pics of the Russian Breech loader get posted ? I sent them with the Turkish /Fergusson at G bow . Meant to make one only plainer haven't but might yet .
Regards Rudyard

" When out of a night that was 40 below came dangerous Dan Magraw ! " A bit of Robert Service a sort of' frozen 'Kipling '.
Coldest I ever knew I shot a rifle was up at Mackenzie BC it was my Sunday off wasn't going to waste it , went out in a mates car to a gravel pit he kept the engine running shot my 451 8 times but by then I could barely grasp the stock it was 46 below F not counting wind chill factor. Still got the 451 & kept the Target .. A cap lock. Now if Ide been shooting Matchlock ide have some thing to warm me hands on ?,
Cheers Rudyard
- 40 is the only temperature that is the same in Celsius and Fahrenheit . Just thought you may like to know .

Whatever you call it, it's too cold, Dunc!
Its been that cold here and on the way to that again right now. Some of us here in western Canada go by F, and some by C, and yes, 40 below should be banned in either money!
Me old cobber Rudyard got smart and moved down your way donkey's years ago!

Cyten, you are in Armenia, right? Switzerland isnt in the EU and wouldn't have applied in this case, but is it a hassle for you to import muzzleloading firearms from EU countries?
Correct, I'm in Armenia. Muzzleloaders aren't on the law books here, so they are treated as modern guns mostly. In other words, there is NO muzzleloading shooting here. I would have this shipped to the US, where I live part time.

IMHO they are far more plantiful and available overseas, hence the lower prices. But like Ricky said, getting them to the US can be quite the expen$ive process!
The auction house had another one of these almost identical that went for thousands more, so i'm not sure.

Maybe the' 7 shot beetle' put people off , but you wouldn't get a barrel for that . I think you wrote re something but I could'nt get to reply it wasn't walnut but gun related & now I cant recall . Did the pics of the Russian Breech loader get posted ? I sent them with the Turkish /Fergusson at G bow . Meant to make one only plainer haven't but might yet .
Regards Rudyard
Yes I saw the photos,thanks again Rudyard!

490530ED-7F6B-4E80-B50F-12DB57D6FE70.jpeg

If anyone is having problems with upstart Burgundians, let me know.

The lighting does not do it justice because of the black wood, but it’s very nice in person. The wood has some very subtle and nice decorative accents. The trigger bar is shockingly ergonomic and has a really good amount of friction. An unexpected historical accuracy is that there is no barrel tang! Definitely a nice introduction to this era of the hobby (my handgonne does not count because it is not getting taken to the range until after I have more shooting experience).

Once I get the next and very exciting piece, I will have a nice chronology going.

Last edited:
WOW!! Very nice. That turned out looking great. Congratulations.

Instead of using a traditional powder horn strap of cotton/leather, maybe use colored, cotton rope with knotted ends. And if you don't need an exact amount powder charge spout (since many of us pour our powder from the horn to a separate measure for safety reasons) you can have a brass spout made similar to this. All to give the horn that earlier Landsknecht style look to it. LOLView attachment 181873
Do you have a link or a recommendation for the cotton rope you have used?

Back