• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Places to buy quality used guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you live in Tennessee and can't find a muzzleloader?
You need to get out more :wink:

lots of good replies so far. mine is pure wisearse.

Local gun stores around here seem to always have a couple or so MLs in their inventory. I have gotten good deals on a CVA Mountain Rifle and a T/C Seneca, way better than I could have gotten online, over the past 2-3 years just by going in and looking to see what they have. Some stores seem to look at MLs as just pieces of junk they need to unload to make room for real guns. That's okay by me. It never hurts to stop in and chat with the local store owners from time to time anyway, and try to buy something just to help them stay in business. The good stuff doesn't stay on the shelf long, BTW, so frequent trips are necessary.

Fwiw, I wish that I could find a GOOD used "Plain Jane" flintlock SMR or Brown Bess (for a typical militiaman impression of the TX Revolution era) that the seller doesn't think is a National Treasure. = Recently here in The Alamo City I've seen 6 used rifles that were priced (WELL-used is being kind. Had any of the weapons been $$ instead of $$$$$, I might well have bought one, as our frontier militia was mostly "poorer than Job's turkey".) ABOVE the MSRP, when new.

Two of the SMR were dated/branded with the recent manufacturer but the "vendor" tried to pass them off as ORIGINAL 19TH Century firearms.
(In one case, I couldn't decide whether he thought that I was a moron or if he was, as the SMR was marked: JAPAN.)

yours, satx

Leave your contact info with a local modern arms dealer or two. Many are weary of selling used commerical or even hand built muzzleloaders. However, they may sell it to you on consignment. Or, pass on your info to you.

If they do offer it for sale, they'll likely call you.

I've done that with both muzzleloaders and old lever guns.

Saw three very nice right hand flintlocks custom made, reasonably priced today. This was at deer creek gun shop in marietta ga. Sorry no phone number handy. Been in business 30 years, 3 generation gunsmiths. Call em Tuesday and have James send you some pics. See if interested. Ml forum member georgia flint saw them as well today and thought very well made and good looking. Just need to keep eyes open I guess. This shop family owned, specialize in these types of weapons.

satx78247 said:
Two of the SMR were dated/branded with the recent manufacturer but the "vendor" tried to pass them off as ORIGINAL 19TH Century firearms.
(In one case, I couldn't decide whether he thought that I was a moron or if he was, as the SMR was marked: JAPAN.)

I had to laugh remembering a basket a dealer showed me and asked, "Do you think it's Indian?"
Had to answer, "Sure, says 'Made In India' right under here!" :wink: :haha:

You could simply build what your after...in kit form, or have one built in the " white" and you can finish it. TVM, Jackie Brown and tip Curtis all come to mind. Jim Kibler has a really nice SMR in kit form...with very little work to be done on the customers end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back