• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pitted Barrel Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are. M.

NC NMLRA Field Rep, NRA ML Instructor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So my brother has this old TC White Mountain carbine. As some of you may know, replacement barrels for this rifle are hard to come by. It'll hold a loose group at 25yds with PRB, but it shreds the patches (see photos below). My plan is to scotch brite/lap/anything to try and remove some of the pitting. If not, if possible, I'd like to rebore to .54 and leave that sucker smooth. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I'll post photos of my progress along the way.

RM

20191228_105238.jpg
20191228_105224.jpg

These barrels are work hardened inside and very difficult to lap or recut. Best bet is to get it bored out and re-rifled by Bobby Hoyt and never use a black powder substitute again.
Bobby has done a number of barrels for me with great success. Tell him what you want to use or do with the barrel and follow his suggestion. He knows his craft.

Hey Rich ,no disrespect but a through cleaning is in order after use....Pdex or Real Black,
Have the same T/C barrels for 25 years and they are still pretty good.
I think that most of the ones we see here were neglected.
SM

So my brother has this old TC White Mountain carbine. As some of you may know, replacement barrels for this rifle are hard to come by. It'll hold a loose group at 25yds with PRB, but it shreds the patches (see photos below). My plan is to scotch brite/lap/anything to try and remove some of the pitting. If not, if possible, I'd like to rebore to .54 and leave that sucker smooth. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I'll post photos of my progress along the way.

RM

View attachment 21311 View attachment 21312
Rm I had hoyt do a recut on a .50 cal flinter thay was in good shape. it shoots real well.
But a rebore might be in order for yours
SM

RM

View attachment 21311 View attachment 21312
RM some guys have has success using valve grinding compound.
SM

These barrels are work hardened inside and very difficult to lap or recut. Best bet is to get it bored out and re-rifled by Bobby Hoyt and never use a black powder substitute again.
Hey Rich ,no disrespect but a through cleaning is in order after use....Pdex or Real Black,
Have the same T/C barrels for 25 years and they are still pretty good.
I think that most of the ones we see here were neglected.
SM
With Mr. Pierce on this one. Have seen more barrels compromised with subs, particularly Pyrodox, than with black powder. Agree that Pyrodox residue can be throughly and completely cleaned, however, it takes more effort and diligence when compared to black powder. For the average muzzleloading shooter black powder gives a larger margin of ‘cleaning error’ as it will cleanup with water alone. Not something Pyrodox is known for.

With Mr. Pierce on this one. Have seen more barrels compromised with subs, particularly Pyrodox, than with black powder. Agree that Pyrodox residue can be throughly and completely cleaned, however, it takes more effort and diligence when compared to black powder. For the average muzzleloading shooter black powder gives a larger margin of ‘cleaning error’ as it will cleanup with water alone. Not something Pyrodox is known for.
Yes, I understand but being the fact that P Dex is available more than Ole Black where I live I have had to deal with it by cleaning completely thru the years. I guess cleanliness is the key.
SM

Yes, I understand but being the fact that P Dex is available more than Ole Black where I live I have had to deal with it by cleaning completely thru the years. I guess cleanliness is the key.
SM
No argument that Pyrodox works. And as long as you are meticulous in your cleaning no problem. Problem that I see are some that are not exactly meticulous with their cleaning process and then are then perplexed when corrosion and pits take over their bore. Find that black powder residue is easily cleaned with tepid water, not the case with Pyrodox.

I reworked 2 barrels like this last summer. Takes a bit of time and patience but doable. If you want the info just say.

IMO: The barrel is trashed.

i've attempted to rejuvenate barrels like this one. Yep, Evapo-rust will remove all the rust. You are left with a badly pitted barrel that will cut patches and easily rust again. i currently have a .54 barrel that was like that one. i've spent tens of hours working on that barrel with Evapo-Rust, jewelers rouge, Scotch Brite and steel wool; it ain't worth the trouble. It's going to Bobby Hoyt.

Send the barrel off to Bobby Hoyt: Have him transform it into .54 caliber with round bottom patched round ball twist.

This is a 50 I reworked. It was as bad as the OPs pix. Shot horrible. Now will put on target and within 1/2" holes almost touching.
20200103_140409.jpg
20200103_140638.jpg

It will get better with more shooting.

I don't see in the original post that RM ever stated that he is or was using a black powder substitute.

Back