• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pitted barrel bottom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up an old .36 rifle a couple weeks ago.
Where the wood has touched the barrel on the bottom it is pitted.
Took it to an old gunsmith guy I know and he stated as long as I don't get stupid It is very safe to shoot.
What can I put on it to keep it from getting worse over time?
The gun is now show piece. Half tempted to wire brush everything below the wood line and paint it with an oil base paint below the wood line.

Pitting looks bad but it won't hurt anything. You have to remove the rust that is already there first to stop it from getting any worse.

I like Spray On antirust spray for barrel protection on hidden parts it is like a really thin cosmoline. It leaves a thin waxy film that protects against rust. It is available at most industrial supplys.

Bees wax was the original bedding compound. I have found it on rifles over 150 years old used to fill inletting gaps.

In the 18th and, 19th century ,bees wax was a standard sealant for lots of things on the frontier. Powder horn plugs , especially. Most anything with a crack in it that needed to be water proofed. A cake of it took up little space , and weighed little , in a hunters kit. Also , at least two of my fellow m/l gunsmiths related to me they had used a gunstock finish written up in old notes . It was simply pine tar, (turpentine) ,and bees wax. Both had used it and had found the finish needed to be reapplied as the weather dictated. .......oldwood

Last edited by a moderator:
Back