• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pistols exchanged between Mohawk and British leaders in 1812

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These pistols were likely given to Mohawk leader John Brant by a British officer after his warriors saved the day one afternoon. The wording is vague enough to not be sure about who did the giving and who did the receiving, so the pistols could be either British or American in manufacture.

I've read that the British officers in the west had been issued flintlock pistols in the early 1800s that didn't work very well, so they often traded them or sold them. Is that what this is? I'm afraid I don't have much else to go on. Thanks in advance for any help.
Queenston pistols.png

They are in the style of English military pistols of the Georgian era, but whether they were made in England and shipped over to (or brought over by) said officer or made in the style by a colonial smith is impossible to say without further background.

I don’t think a English officer would give a Indian a high priced set of pistols as an ordinary gift. Unless it was a influential chief and they were trying to get them persuaded to do something…

I've read that it was common for two leading officers from opposing sides to make a treaty/truce with one another which could include the breaking off of pistol hammers. A sort of thing as passing a peace-pipe among each other.

These pistols were likely given to Mohawk leader John Brant by a British officer after his warriors saved the day one afternoon. The wording is vague enough to not be sure about who did the giving and who did the receiving, so the pistols could be either British or American in manufacture.

I've read that the British officers in the west had been issued flintlock pistols in the early 1800s that didn't work very well, so they often traded them or sold them. Is that what this is? I'm afraid I don't have much else to go on. Thanks in advance for any help.View attachment 90454
Odd that both “ hammers” are missing. Anyone know why?

Odd that both “ hammers” are missing. Anyone know why?
You can't see the lock on the pistol on the Left. But note the one on the right, the hammer is not missing, but broke off. The hammer on the pistol on the Left is probably the same. Both possibly intentionally broke per my post above.

Hi,
We need better photos. They are almost certainly British manufacture and are not trade guns. They are private purchase holster pistols that look to be of very good quality. The sliding safety bolts attest to that. There will be proof and maker's marks on the barrels and locks. They have trigger guards with acorn finial suggesting they were made from the 1770s onward but probably well before 1800.

dave

Last edited:
Back