• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pistol/revolver of choice...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
What pistol/revolver would you carry, if you had the choice of anything made between 1848 and 1865? It will be your side arm of choice for combat in the Civil War.
I know the Roger & Spencer was basically too late for much fighting but in this exercise it is a legit choice (my rules) and comes to my mind first. I think it to be the most advanced revolver of the time period. And the 1851 Colt Navy feels the best of any handgun ever made!
But my choice would still be the 1858 Remington, mostly because of the ease of cylinder swap ability.

I've only fired a handful of rounds with other cap and ball revolvers, so can't present much evidence or even a really good opinion. :confused: But, I sure like my 1860 Army Colt replica. It has been very reliable and points and balances remarkably well. :thumbsup: graybeard

I'd go with a brace of 1860 Colts, though I'd be nearly as happy with 1851's. The Remington may be a better target pistol but the Colt is a much more natural pointer and in combat you'll be pointing the gun, not aiming it.
The Rogers & Spencer would be my last choice. The grip, with its excessive flair at the bottom, is about the most awkward of any pistol ever produce. The hammer spur sticking high in the air is also very awkward. The loading lever attached to the cylinder base pin is a serious design flaw as effort on the lever tends to bend the base pin.

CoyoteJoe said:
I'd go with a brace of 1860 Colts, though I'd be nearly as happy with 1851's. The Remington may be a better target pistol but the Colt is a much more natural pointer and in combat you'll be pointing the gun, not aiming it.

Gotta agree. I've never held (pointed) a pistol that felt more natural or came on target as quickly as the colts. They are perfectly balanced and just "feel right."

My first choice is the R&S. Yes, it was used during the civil war contrary to belief. Limited use yes, but was used.
My second choice is the 1858 Remy. with the quick change of the cylinder reloading in a hurry is a snap. I cna change my cylinder in less than 15 seconds. Try reloading a colt in that period of time. And 2 extra reloaded cylinders riding on your hip is a lot lighter than a whole pistol.

I know its impractical to carry because of its size and wieght but I think a Colt Dragoon would serve very well. Yes it would be cumbersome and slow to reload but if brandished most of your opposition would run for the hills rather than risk being shot at with that massive thundering piece. Those looking down the barrel of a Dragoon would know that being hit by the ball fired by that beast would likely end in death and would sooner be called a coward. Now after saying all of that I admit I don't own a Dragoon though I would love to. The practical side of me agrees with those choosing the Remington. Its packable, quick to reload and mine has never jammed because of cap fragments. I still would like to see the expression on some gang bangers face if someone were to confront him with a Dragoon. If the size of that monster didn't send him running back to the hood then the first blast would.

Don

This is the nicest of problems for C & B'ers ain't it? Haven't made up my mind totally. So far I really like Army Colt over the Navy but I can see where the .36 would have advantages (More shots per pound of lead but we're speaking of Military usages.) I can see where Remmie lovers are a looong way from being undergunned...Like I said, nice problem GrampaJ in NC who loves 'em all. :v

I Own A 3rd. mod. Dragoon, And It IS A Monster. It Looks Like You Could Kill A Monster With It Too. My Strong Hand Is Very Stong Due To Shooting It Almost Evey weekend ! I Fire A Minimum Of 40 Grains, And Have Used 50 Grains. The Old Blaster ( my Nickname for mine ) Is A Force to Be reckoned With. It Is My Opinion That A Gangbanger Would Choose To Be Called A coward And run rather Than Exchange Rounds With Me. :patriot: Oh,Yeah, The Flame That Comes Out Of The Muzzle Looks Very cool At night. :thumbsup:

colts.2nd,3rddragoon,navy,1860army.swapping out cycs is pure hollywood,quickest reload is your second pistol. :hatsoff:

well sorry mines older! a walker colt :bow: big and nasty looking... plus was the most powerful gun till remington made the .44mag. ok heres a good one for a gangser with a .9mm thats not a gun. then I'd pole the walker. THIS IS A GUN :blah:

I like the Colts. But this is close killing, not Hollywood? A sawed off pistol grip double barrel musket cap percussion shotgun. Tiny flare on the muzzles for loading combustable paper cartridges.

Civil War close combat, enemy right up on you? Who is going to have time to swap cylinders under those conditions? Enemy closing six feet away and you are breaking down a gun? 1860 Colt Army, because I can point shoot with it very well so if I get the chance to shoot six rounds six enemy are going to feel it. Once the six are shot I am going to turn that revolver around, and start bashing people in the face with it until I can steal a musket, and then start bashing them with that.

I agree with Rock Island, carry more than one gun and when all shots are fired use it as a club and run. If I could keep my 1858 rem. extra cylinders loaded with the caps already loaded on them then I could just switch out cylinders real fast but don't think it would be too safe.

Hard to say, I am partial to the Remingtons. But I would also consider a LeMat. A saw a relic gun once that had a two barrel like a Lemat, but the cylinder had six or seven larger chambers around the outer circummference and about the same of smaller holes around the cylinder pin. It was in such bad shape that I guessed they might have been 44 holes and 31 holes. The owner said it was a custom job from Dublin in the 1860's. Now that would be a piece.

100_0685.jpg

Decisions, Decisions! :hmm:
The navy does point nice!
The dragoon packs a heck of a punch, and would turn into quite the club after it was empty!
:v

I would go rather well heeled. 1860 Colt right hip, Lemat in a cross draw on left, Starr .44 on left hip. Snub nose 1849 baby Dragoon inside vest on left.

If things got hot. First gun I would draw would be the Lemat, and let fly with the shotgun barrel loaded with a healthy load of .36 balls. That would get things jumping.

But, if it comes down to just one. Then, I guess it would be an Colt Dragoon.

CP

Back