• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol/revolver of choice...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cavalry or Infantry?
Cavalry as many Remingtons as my horse could carry and a good saber.
Infantry a musket one Remington and a good sharp bayonet for when they got inside of ten yards.

A little before the Civil War, 1850's New Mexico. John Cerimony(?) rode the Dead Mans Journey with 4 Colt Dragoons! He got away from a bunch of Apachie's using all 4.

P

I would probably go with a Whitney Navy Revolver. Designed by Beals as was the Remy but a 36 caliber. The R&S just does not fit well in my hand.

3rd Model Dragoon with 45 grains on the right hip, and a 1860 Army on the left in a cross-draw (right-hand hip holster, worn on the left hip). The Walker is a little too susceptible to cap fragments, but for long-range harassment-fire situations to pin somebody down (or hit them) it can't be beat!

Dave

Carrying a spare loaded cylinder in a belt pouch under combat situations is probably the least risk one would be taking at the time. I agree though that the reality of having time to switch out a cylinder in close quarter combat is nill. After the pistol(s) were shot out it was, bayonet, saber, dagger, hand to hand hell.

Who knows what will happen under combat situations but would you not want that option? I can change my Remington cylinder pretty quickly and/or not have that ability at all? I agree with everybody that the 1851 Colt Navy is the best handling and pointing gun, possibly ever built. Exception being the 1908 Luger, maybe. The Colt had to have something, even though the Remington is a superior design, as the Colt was the most liked and most popular.
Boy I’ll bet that will start it!

i have both a remmy and colt. put more shots through them then i can remember. i like the colt but it has one big problem. when the cap fires sometimes it will lossen enough to fall off with the next hammer cock. it then can and sometimes does drop down in to the space between the hammer and body. you pull the trigger hammer falls smashes cap remains and jams hammer. sometimes you can force the hammer back sometimes you can,t. so you have to take it apart. to me that makes the remmy better. i like them both but have alot less problems with my remy.( other then the inerds on both are worn out and needing replaced)
:wink:

I agree with shadowhawk. The Colt design allows spent caps to fall into the workings and jamming everything. This has happened to my 1860. My 1858 Remington never had such a problem. Being able to switch cylinders is a bonus. In combat, you need something that is RELIABLE! :thumbsup:

don't you need to survive the first round of exchange in order to be able to reload?
dragoons, several!

if you shoot the colt in an 1850s fashion you wont get caps jamming under the hammer,(shoot strong hand only a one hand hold for want of a better description, as you cock the hammer with your thumb roll your hand clock wise,at full cock roll back upright sight and fire.)i have not dropped acap under the hammer since learning this tech..our modern remingtons (repos) are made stronger in the front frame sections than originals. :hatsoff:

The little 51' Navy is the favorite of target shooters. It was also favored because it was light and small. The fact is the damn thing would not shoot thru a Union soldiers wool coat. The 1860 Army was needed in serious war fare, it was all so a fair horse killer. The Colt system however was poor. The arbor would bind the cylinder and the damn thing was useless. Men who liked Colts carried 4 or 5 of them at one time. In modern time they would have been the subject of a recall. The 58' Remington was closer to being a good combat weapon. The 58' however would also bind up. The best and most modern of its day was the Rogers & Spencer. The R&S will not bind and is a very tough service pistol. The design is used today by B/P shooting teams. DPS R&S sells for $1,300.00. You can of course get the Euroarms for much less. Ruger copied this gun when they made the ROA. Colt used the R&S flange in the Peace Maker. It was ahead of its time. This gun did see service during the cartridge era by the USMC during the Moro War. I would choose the Rogers & Spencer.

IMG_0061_2.jpg

The Roger & Spencer is also a very accurate six Gun. The gun uses a .457 ball or bullet. The chambers allow for a heavy charge. This target was fired at 25 yds. from a sand bag rest six shots. The load was 40 grs. 3F Wano a felt wad lubed with BP Plus a .457 ball poured from range lead.

I totally agree with you. But I find it curious that the best design often does not turn into the most successful product.

Well it did turn out well. The gun was invented at the end of the C&B era. The cartridge guns that followed used the Rogers & Spencer improvments. The modern revlovers of today are using these improvments.Had it not been for R&S the Colt Peacemaker may not have been as popular as it later was. Colt made guns for years but was never able to come up with a powder deflector to protect the arbor from frezzing up. The fine old Remingtons and most of the others went away by 1900. None of them left the mark on handguns that Rogers & Spencer did. Ruger paid R&S a final tribute when they copied it for the ROA. Even down to the .457 caliber.:thumbsup:

I would go into combat with my Walker. Reliable -- almost never misfires and it's accurate as all get out.

And the damage done and shock value will hopefully send the enemy a runnin' :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back