• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol recomendations please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
At a rendezvous this past weekend, I promised my daughter a good, decent pistol for Christmas. She thought she would like a kit. But others suggested otherwise. This will be her first good pistol. Please advise.

To start with, what is your budget?

Do rendezvous's have a criteria for what is acceptable at them?

[QUOTE="wpjson, post: 1564352, member: 26774 She thought she would like a kit. But others suggested otherwise. This will be her first good pistol. Please advise.[/QUOTE]

First its going to be your daughter's pistol, if she feels she can put a kit together then get her what she wants, not what other people advise. Not knowing how old or how big your daughter is, get one that will fit her hand. I don't think cal. really matters because you can adjust recoil with the powder chargers. Christmas is a ways off, you both have plenty of time to see what is out there and what she would like. And buy the best that you can.

[QUOTE="wpjson, post: 1564352, member: 26774 She thought she would like a kit. But others suggested otherwise. This will be her first good pistol. Please advise.

First its going to be your daughter's pistol, if she feels she can put a kit together then get her what she wants, not what other people advise. Not knowing how old or how big your daughter is, get one that will fit her hand. I don't think cal. really matters because you can adjust recoil with the powder chargers. Christmas is a ways off, you both have plenty of time to see what is out there and what she would like. And buy the best that you can.[/QUOTE]
She is 6 ft tall, rugby player. Just would like some opinion as to quality pistol. I have a CVS Hawken I like. I would like to keep it 50 cal because her rifle is a 50.

Without checking prices what comes to mind of the ready made would be the Lyman or the Pedersoli Kentucky Know the Lyman comes in kit form, not sure about the Pedersoli.

They both have a following.

Thanks, I have a Pedersoli Hatfield 50 cal flintlock, that I like. So Peredsoli is high on my list. Never thought of a pistol by Pedersoli.

I've been shooting a Pedersoli Kentucky for some time now, and done well with it. Mine is in .45, but I would think a .50 would do just as good. These are in your price range...

"Thanks, I have a Pedersoli Hatfield 50 cal flintlock, that I like. So Peredsoli is high on my list. Never thought of a pistol by Pedersoli."

I have both percussion and flintlock Pedersoli Kentucky's and have done well with them in line matches. I bought the 45's since they shoot less powder and less lead, not so much for cost savings but for less recoil. The only thing I did to them was give them to my gunsmith for a trigger job.
They balance well and are not heavy.

I have a fondness for Pedersoli pistols.

First its going to be your daughter's pistol, if she feels she can put a kit together then get her what she wants, not what other people advise. Not knowing how old or how big your daughter is, get one that will fit her hand. I don't think cal. really matters because you can adjust recoil with the powder chargers. Christmas is a ways off, you both have plenty of time to see what is out there and what she would like. And buy the best that you can.
She is 6 ft tall, rugby player. Just would like some opinion as to quality pistol. I have a CVS Hawken I like. I would like to keep it 50 cal because her rifle is a 50.[/QUOTE]

I think the Lyman pistol in 50 cal. would fit the bill nicely. The next shoot you go to look around someone will have a lyman pistol and your daughter can check it out.

She might fancy one of these. I have one on the way. It's .45 cal though. Chiappa Napolean Lepage
Screenshot_2019-05-30-16-36-34.png

I've had really good luck with a traditions trapper that I bought used at a rondevouse a few years ago. One of theese days ill buy a lyman, a buddy has one and is really
happy with it..

You might want to look at the Possibles Shop. They have some reasonable priced pistols. Both flintlock and caplock.
The possibles shop does not show on their site availability or prices. Most are marked not available or call to order. This tells me they do not stock anything, but order from manufacturer as orders come in. This would cause months long wait times.

Lyman Plains Pistol Kit.... hands down.
Good sight plane for a pistol.
Large enough and long enough to hunt with if she decides she wants to do that.
Kit is simple so now worries as her first project
Comes with the belt hook
Has a reputation for accuracy

LD

Back