• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Loading Stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Confession: I am not a good woodworker, so I seek shortcuts where I can.

The traditional blackpowder club I belong to requites that pistols remain pointed up even when on the loading table. It is not permitted to point downrange after firing or during loading. So, a pistol loading stand is necessary.

There was an old container for small flowerpots in the garage that made a good starting point for this lazy builder. It just was a matter of taking it apart and rearranging components, then adding a few parts.

The Patriot pistol I have can break at the grip if too much pressure is applied, so I built up the area under the grip with carpet and dense foam on one side of the stand. The stand supports the stock/grip of the pistol evenly along the back of the grip. I have a custom flintlock pistol that requires the same support.
M0gDmV.jpg

fDyy2z.jpg

KdpSdU.jpg

It's not a piece of art, but it is functional.
Ron

That is pretty clever. :hmm:

When I load my Patriot I hold it in my hand by the barrel during the process. I don't let any part of the pistol come into contact with a hard surface. So far I have had no issues with cracked stocks etc. And I do not over tighten the lock bolt.

"It's not a piece of art, but it is functional."

Functional is a working tool, art is on the wall.

I like it.

DoubleDeuce 1 said:

When I load my Patriot I hold it in my hand by the barrel during the process. I don't let any part of the pistol come into contact with a hard surface. So far I have had no issues with cracked stocks etc. And I do not over tighten the lock bolt.

I was visiting with a long time shooter at Friendship. He said there was an English shooter who only shot original pistols. He used a loading stand and broke the stock on one of his originals.

Friend said "he" would not load from a loading when starting the ball or seating it.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I used to load the Patriot holding it in my hand, but the "gun up" rule drove me to the design of the support.
I will load holding it in my hand if I am at the firing line.
Ron

It looks like a piece of art to me.
You should see what they call art and get big money for.

Richard Eames said:
DoubleDeuce 1 said:

I was visiting with a long time shooter at Friendship. He said there was an English shooter who only shot original pistols. He used a loading stand and broke the stock on one of his originals.

Friend said "he" would not load from a loading when starting the ball or seating it.

I have a flintlock pistol that may very well show the same weak point as the Patriot.
I have built up the base on one side so that the carpeting and padding contact all along the back of the grip to distribute the force. But all of your suggestions about not using the stand for loading make me think that there is still a risk.

Thanks for reinforcing the recommendation about the care in loading. I will be as careful as possible.
A9LrNA.jpg

Ron

That is a nice looking pistol, I do like it.

I bought a smoothbore in Friendship which is close to yours, only a bit longer barrel.

It belonged to a friend of a friend of mine. It had a stack of inspection stickers from past matches. My wife asked if I was going to remove them, I said no, he left them and I will leave them in his memory. I will start my own stack.

Patriot, it is a nice pistol, I retired mine. It is a nice pistol, just not a winner in line matches, there are better pistols to win with.

It is a 45 cal that was built for competition by a leathermaker assisted by two Friendship gunmakers.
He moved the rear sight to the tang, I guess for a greater sight radius. I can always move it back to the original position.

The pistol shoots very, very well. It would be great if I could, as well. :grin:
Ron

Back