• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good load for a repro 1740's/50's era British Dragoon .62 cal. smoothbore pistol? I'm thinking a .600 RB with a .015 patch on top of 35-40 gr. FFg would be a good start. How about a shot (snakebuster!) load? Thanks! :thumbsup:

My bro shoots 20gr. in his smoothbore .60 Officer's flint pistol. The barrel on this one is a re-bored, turned & swamped 1 1/8" .58 Octagonal rifle barrel. Rather extreme work to get a barrel, but a beautiful pistol nonetheless - I'll have to post some pictures some day.
: One dueler we've seen, has the charger in the end of the loading rod. IT can't hold more than 15gr. and was for a cased set of .60's. The brass barrels at the swamp, were only .020" thick per side. I have pictures of one with 13 thousanths thick and it's brass as well. No wonder the harges were kept light. They'd have blown quickly hunting buffalo I assume.
; 30 to 35gr.3F makes a good healthy load with a 300gr. ball.

I believe 20 - 25 grains would do well with a .600 patched round ball...

Any more that that and you will just blow unburnt powder out the muzzle of the short barrel...

a good rule of thumb is start with half the caliber for pystols and the same as the caliber for ryfls and work your way up or down to suit. I made a Miquelet pystol in 62 cal and use 20/25 gr. FF. Barrel is 8" long and it uses paper cartridges...packs quite a[url] punch..main[/url] thing is,,it doesn't kill on one end and maim on the other...everybody has their own idea of what is right..myne is always the right one... :bull: hope this helps Wulf

Last edited by a moderator:
Once the load has been found for a patched roundball, I would use the same weight in shot and wads as the patch and RB, then the powder would be pushing the same weight...

The Blackpowder Loading Manual 3rd.Ed. doesn't have the same gun. It lists for the 1855 Harper's Ferry a 550 gr Minie with 30 to 60 gr. of ffg and a 570 w/ 50 gr. of ffg. Velocity with the first is 577 fps to 802 and 697 with the heavier bullet. A Lemat was tested with a 317gr. 595 ball and 25 gr. of fffg for 571 fps. With slugs that big I think recoil would get "stout" real quick. Hope that helps.

I wouldn't load much over 35gr. You will find that recoil begins to detract from the enjoyment of shooting it. Even at 35gr., the recoil will be stout, but still easily managed by someone accustomed to shooting handguns.

Thanks, guys! I see now that my initial guess was a bit overzealous :shocking: (it's not easy to find .62 pistol load data)! I think I'll start w/ about 20gr. and work my way up. :thumbsup:

Back