• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to buy and assemble a flintlock pistol form a kit. Any suggestions on what brand of kit will produce a decent pistol?

What is your price range and do you want an authentic pistol or a generic, "sorta looks looks like it oughta" pistol?

Lyman Great Plains Pistol.

Ed.: Nope,sorry. The GP Pistol kit is percussion only.

What with the devaluation of the dollar in Europe things are getting pretty expensive but the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol is a nice gun and their Queen Anne is also interesting.

The Queen Anne needs some modification of the barrels flash channel to fire reliably and I posted a description of what needs to be done to it. It is a fairly easy rework so if you get one and want to modify it, let me know and I'll dig out the post.

Oh, what the H...
Here is the link for anyone interested who hasn't seen it:
QUEEN ANNE VENT MOD.

Wasn't the Queen Anne a screw-barrel? If so, does the Pedersoli barrel screw off the breech?

Zonie, is there a fastener of some sort holding the front of the barrel to the stock? I've heard it said that only the tang screw holds the barrel to the stock on some versions of these pistols. I've always hoped that was just a vicious rumor.

That makes me a little nervous. It does seem like a tennon could be soldered onto the barrel so that the forward lock bolt could secure the barrel. With no ramrod to consider it should be easy.

Yes, most real Queen Anne pistols are screw barrel types and no, the Pedersoli QA is not.
It is an interesting pistol with its cannon muzzle and the single screw at the breech seems to be adequate.

It is far from a "target pistol" though with it's smooth bore and lack of sights.
Kinda a "point and shoot" gun. Of course, if the target trys to attack you after you've fired your shot you can rap it up along side the head with the neat grotesque grip cap and leave a smiling welt on it. :rotf:

I have one and it is indeed a fun shooter. 20 yards is about max for me to stay on a pie plate sized target with any sort of regularity. I opened mine up to .54 to serve as a companion piece to my Pedersoli Jaeger. It is also a decent small shot shooter out to 15 yards. :)

Looking to spend under $250.00, and the pistol does not have to be authentic, just want to assemble in spare time and have fun shootin' it.

Flint50 said:
Looking to spend under $250.00, and the pistol does not have to be authentic, just want to assemble in spare time and have fun shootin' it.

Outside of Pedersoli, flint kits are getting harder to find. Traditions had one, but they are scarce. Here are the results of my search for a hand flint last fall:

Pedersoli - $270
Traditions - $186.89 - $195
"American Pistol Kit" - $179

As you can see, there's about a hundred dollars difference between the top shelf make and everything else. That's why I just got the Pedersoli in .50 cal flint. It has a -very- heavy frizzen spring, I'm certain I'll have to lighten it.

Back