• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birty

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all, just been going through and having a clear out of my late fathers belongings, came across this, any ideas? I know it’s been in the family a long while, but always stored away due to family members in years gone by losing there life to fire arms.

Attachments

• 35E54A18-BBC6-4772-8C1A-EE4261DEDC9B.jpeg
    35E54A18-BBC6-4772-8C1A-EE4261DEDC9B.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 139
  • FB23B7D1-BC94-4CE9-BED4-E13B2E8BC00A.jpeg
    FB23B7D1-BC94-4CE9-BED4-E13B2E8BC00A.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 137
  • ABDBB807-56A1-4D2C-B284-4CA58613768D.jpeg
    ABDBB807-56A1-4D2C-B284-4CA58613768D.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 3351AEBB-B85A-4B0A-8AC6-33798B558273.jpeg
    3351AEBB-B85A-4B0A-8AC6-33798B558273.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 129
Need good clear pics of lock and any manufacturing markings. Also put a rod down the barrel and see if the bore goes down to even with the flash pan. If it doesn't then it's a non firing tourist piece. May need to remove the stock to get to the manufacturing markings and if there is a hole in the bottom of the barrel under the stock that goes to the bore then it is a non firing tourist piece

Not a tourist piece. Likely Ottoman Empire or other middle eastern descent. Appear to be an inscription on the trigger guard but I can't make it out.

Ok , thanks for rapid reply’s, I’ll take your advice and have a poke down barrel. Thanks

Hi Birty

I'm pretty sure you have what most collectors call an Ottoman Kubur (horse) pistol. It was likely made at one of the many gun making centers in the Balkans from imported parts from Europe. Probably anywhere in the first half of the 19th Century. It could have also been entirely made in Europe and carved/decorated for local taste. But I would need to see close pics of the inside and outside lock to have a better idea. These Ottoman style pistols were a big market for 100 years. From the photos provided, it appears there is no provision for a ramrod - True ?

Rick

A number of Ottoman horse pistols I've seen did not have a ramrod - captured or otherwise. Instead, the shooter had his ramrod on a length of cord or chain around his neck - I bleeve that capandball has recentlly posted a movie about shooting a pistol with similar usage, as well as a carbine used by Hungarian/Austrian cavalry.

Back