• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pistol ID Help Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello

Need some help with the origin of this pistol

Markings are CP K: K: POST

Interesting Stampings on the lock as well

Barrel is 8 1/2" and bore is .650

No provision for rammer.

take care and thanks

jpc

Attachments

• Pistol Percussion 2018 011.JPG
    Pistol Percussion 2018 011.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Pistol Percussion 2018 016.JPG
    Pistol Percussion 2018 016.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Pistol Percussion 2018 017.JPG
    Pistol Percussion 2018 017.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Pistol Percussion 2018 001.JPG
    Pistol Percussion 2018 001.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Pistol Percussion 2018 010.JPG
    Pistol Percussion 2018 010.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Pistol Percussion 2018 005.JPG
    Pistol Percussion 2018 005.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 184
The complete absence of a ramrod has me stumped, and it was clearly made as a percussion pistol. With some care, as the witness lines on the barrel and breech plug show. I must admit to being totally stumped by this - no proof marks? A strange name/attribution? I'm sorry, jpc, i can't help you on this one.

Best

tac

The hammer looks Austrian - Lorenz?. Austrians frequently did not have ramrod channels - rods were carried in the belt or backpack. I've seen that flower symbol before. Lot of people mistake it for Japanese Chrysanthemum. If I can find my notes maybe I can help with the symbols

Great and thanks for the information. I will search Austrian sites now looking for something similar.
Your help with the symbols would be appreciated and take care

jpc

The hammer looks Austrian - Lorenz?. Austrians frequently did not have ramrod channels - rods were carried in the belt or backpack. I've seen that flower symbol before. Lot of people mistake it for Japanese Chrysanthemum. If I can find my notes maybe I can help with the symbols

I agree with you. As capandball demonstrates on one of his excellent Youtube movies, the Austro-Hungarian military DID have a habit of hanging their pistol ramrods around their neck on a lanyard, to prevent it getting lost in an affray. Can't see any AH proof marks on this though usually the huge spreadeagle and a pointed arrow.

Research continues.........watch this space. :)

My findings so far:

KK POST would stand for Kaiserlich-und-Koniglich Post: Imperial and Royal Post Office. In that period a LOT of things were K-and-K, right down to postage stamps.

Likely it would be a Coach piece for the protection of His Imperial Majesty's mails.

As mentioned above, it looks similar to the various Belgium made pistols of the period. Although the checkering on the grip might preclude it's intended use for straight military. Some of these were in fact made without ramrods, preferring to carry the rod on a throng suspended around the neck so it would not get lost while on horseback. Here is an earlier Belgium pistol made without a ramrod provision similar to yours:
DSC00205 (Medium).JPG

Back