• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got started today,,cut it down, removed the old finish from the wood,,pretty well got the barrel cleaned up slicked it all off with a file,,still gonna be a ton work, but good progress today,i may have to order a stock,,gonna see what i can do with this one first,,

Finished thi
302_1357.JPG
s one today,,got to get back on the pistol build

The geometry of the rifle stock is not gonna work for a pistol grip,,got to relick this calf

302_1359.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
How about adding some elk antler or rosewood on the grip to make it longer? it will set it off and give you a better hold. You would then be able to do the same on the fore end and make it look good, too. Nice start, I love making something decent out of scratch!

this is a discarded rifle barrel (with a quick twist) cut down and an old rifle lock that I resurrected , the stock blank came from TOW. its getting slimmed down some more before refinishing. It was fun to build from old parts.
ou
tom

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 89
View attachment 11653 This is a pistol I built from a cut down rifle barrel 1 in 48 twist 50cal. Stock blank came from Pecatonica, about $60 bucks with barrel inletted and ram rod drilled. Barrel is 15" This is the most accurate weapon I own and the least I have invested in any of my guns. go for it
Wow ! That is interesting Thumbs Up ! What load do you use to get that (Minute of Squirrel accuracy) ? Thanks

I took a radical step yesterday,,i want to see how it turns out before I post any pictures,,dont want to create to much laughter

I like the concept, but I have a feeling it's going to be barrel heavy.

If so, you may be able to drill a hole in the end of the pistol stock and add a lead weight type of cylinder to balance out the weight.

I pretty much finished the stock today,,got to order a few finish parts,,it is going to be barrel heavy,,im gonna take the barrel down to 10",,that should help,,will probably add a brass or steel butt plate
302_1365.JPG
and that should help

Attachments

• 302_1366.JPG
    302_1366.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 50
Wynne, looks good but I think you better be careful loading a tight patch if you use a loading stand.I don't think it will stand too much of a pounding.
OldRust. I am shooting 25 gr. of 3f. Those tree rats were shot at 25 yds off of a steady rest.

If it is a long barrel, such as the 15 inches mentioned it should do ok. I build a 15 .36 pistol that was cut down from a full length rifle barrel and it did just fine. I would also be sure to really check the inside of that barrel and hope it is in better shape than the outside.

302_1474.JPG
other side,,cut the barrel down to 10",,fore end cap is brass drawer pull,,sights off a modern rifle,,the trigger guard is pot metal,,couldnt do much with that so I just buffed it bright and gonna leave it that way

Well boys I finally finished it

View attachment 15991

I had joined the forum only a couple of days before you first posted this thread/project. Right now the only BP firearm I have is a Trapper 50CAL pistol. So your subject really interested me.

I think what you did with the "clunker" rifle is pretty cool. I was quite curious what you would do with the wood grip design. I think the addition you built/attached turned out quite well. My Trapper has a similar wedge-shape protrusion at the top of the grip. Hitting just above my hand when gripping the pistol, I like how that feels in my palm.

:ThankYou:I enjoyed reading this post and seeing your "new" pistol. Gotta be a win for Wynne!

wiksmo

Back