• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynne

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a clunker percussion rifle Im gonna cut down and make a pistol, thinking about going for a T/C Patriot type or a Colonial dueller,,wheres a good place to look for a blank,,dont have a band saw,,would like to get one that is sawn out,,its a perc. front action lock

Just had a thought,,I do that every once in a while,,I think Im gonna try and modify the rifle stock, this is what Im starting with

clicking on upload file,,my picture comes up and i open it and it shows loading but comes back and sez my file is to long,,im better at working on stuff than on this computer

Many modern digital cameras make huge files with millions of bits of data in them.
The forum is limited to a combined size of 4096 Kb. That's 4,096,000 bits of information.
I say "combined size" because if you have 3 pictures and each one of them is 1500 Kb in data size you could show two of them (3000 kb) but not 3 of them (4500 kb).
Most computers have a way of shrinking their file sizes. I think Windows "Paint" can do it. Then there are the various apps made specifically for modifying pictures that can do it. Photoshop costs a lot but it is an excellent tool for doing this. There are other photo editing programs on the web that are free. Check them out before downloading them though. Some are good while others... not so much.

Getting back to how to shrink the file size, if you have a program that lets you change the size of the picture, usually specified as pixels wide and pixels tall, reduce the picture size to something like 900 pixels wide. That will drastically reduce the file size and the picture will show up on the forum in an easy to see size.
Another thing to look for is the "Resolution". This is usually specified in the number of dots per inch for the pixels that create the shape.

Most computer monotars can't show anything much better than 100 dots/inch so if you change the resolution to 100 it will still look just as sharp but again, doing this will drastically reduce the pictures file size. Just a bit of a warning though. On some programs changing the resolution will also shrink the picture so check to see that the picture is still at the 900 pixels or whatever you choose before you save it.

Speaking of saving it, IMO you should always use the "Save As" method and change the pictures name. That way your original picture won't be changed and you will have your new one with a new name so you can tell them apart. I usually add the letters "web" to the picture so, if my original was named "Pistol.jpg" I will change it to "Pistolweb.jpg". That way I can always find it easily.

302_1347.JPG

well,,dont know what I did but here itis,,thought i was gonna have to go find a grandchild

Im gonna cut it off right behind the wrist,,cut the barrel down to 12" to start off with, what yall think

Most pistol barrels are 1 in 22", rifle barrel may be a challenge for accuracy.

As above regarding barrel twist and accuracy. You may find that reach for your trigger finger to be a bit excessive and uncomfortable too. I have to say, that that picture is one ugly rifle as it sits though. What's with the big chunk of wood hanging down in front of the TG like a modern bench rest rifle?

Hello! If I was to salvage that monster, and it had a good bore, I'd restock the barrel, lock and trigger/guard into an 1850's fowler style half stock, and put a recycled iron butt plate off a shotgun on it. If the bore is bad, have it bored out and 1/2 turned and make a shotgun. Surely it would look better and you could be proud of it and you will have made something nice out of junk.

I do know that CVA made more than a couple of pistols with their 1 in 60" twist. Some shoot pretty good. So, from an exercise in making a pistol with little to no additional investment, this a doable project. I would look for some books on making a black powder pistol, but mostly for doing the finish work. I might make the barrel 9 to 10" long for a slightly better balance.

Looking and and doinf a little fiduring,,the forend belly wood is where a screw goes thru up to a lg on the barrel, tis holds it all together, when I remove that belly the wood holding it together is gonna be thi,,may still be thick enuff,,could put a barrel wedge thru the forend,,looks like I got 1/4" from the bottom of the barrel channel to the ramrod,,is the enuff for a barrel lug

I got a clunker percussion rifle Im gonna cut down and make a pistol, thinking about going for a T/C Patriot type or a Colonial dueller,,wheres a good place to look for a blank,,dont have a band saw,,would like to get one that is sawn out,,its a perc. front action lock

I would urge you to get a couple of books on the subject. Also, there are some really good DVDs out there … you don't need a bandsaw to make a blank, and there are good blanks available from Track of the Wolf and Pecatonica … as far as tools go, only buy what you need, and figure out how to keep them razor sharp.

Good luck with your project, and

Make Good Smoke!

A number of years ago, I bought a maple pistol stock blank from Dixie Gun Works and built this pistol with it.
CASE4.jpg

CASE1.jpg

I got the ++ grade of curly maple but for a project like the one in this topic I see Dixie still sells a nice plain maple for a blank for about $20 + postage.
That's a pretty fair price if you ask me. Follow this link to the Dixie site if your interested.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/6093/category_id/370/category_chain/350,367,370/product_name/ST3010+Stock+-+Kentucky+Pistol+(+Maple+-+Very+Little+Curl)

Latest posts

Back