• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pipe tobacco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just carved me a corncob pipe, not being a pipe smoker, what would you gents put in this rascal? Thanks Flint50

I make my own Kinnikinik.
A mix of dried Sumac leaves, dried inner bark of Dog Wood, and very small amount of died birch bark.

Regards, Dave

Gave up smoking anything 25 years ago, but if I had that pipe, I'd find some Granger...rough cut burley...Hank
PS have promised myself that, if I'm ever on the way home from the doctor's office having heard a terminal illness diagnosis, I will stop and buy a pipe and tobacco...

Flint50 said:
Just carved me a corncob pipe, not being a pipe smoker, what would you gents put in this rascal? Thanks Flint50

If you put a plug on both ends you could make a pan charger out of it for a flintlock, dribbling FFFg out the stem as needed... :hmm:

cob.jpg

Imagine the rush you would get if you forgot that it wasn't a pipe and lit it up anyway :shocked2: That would be the fastest bowl you ever smoked :rotf:
Try to contact the forum's Plumbleu he makes some kinni=kinnik and it is the smoothest smoke you can find...REALLY good smoke.

I smoke all kinds of stuff. When I was a kid we would let mint leaves dry. Not too bad. Then we tried bannana parts from that song Mellow Yellow. That wasn't any good.
I was up elk hunting last year and some out of state folks from Georgia tried to get me to smoke some Tennessee Twister. It was green and looked like basil...
Today I still smoke but prefer good twist from Virginia.

Regards
Wounded Knee

Well...you have set yourself on a journey that will take a lifetime..an enjoyable one to be sure. If it were me...I would either get some Sir Walter Raleigh...the regular..stay away from the aromatic or..some Half and Half. Either one is burley based and has a decent flavor. Still another is Prince Albert. Now..a word of warning...pipe tobacco is a lot different than cigarette tobacco..you don't inhale it..or at least until you get used to it I would not recommend it. Pipe tobacco is well...more potent..there is a reason why when we were kids we would sneak some and smoke it...then turn this greenish color and want to lie down in the shade.... :grin:

I now smoke naught but "Super Value" all natural tobacco Black Cavendish. (Dream Castle Tobacco Co.) Get it across the river in Nevada on the Aha Macav Indian reservation, 12 oz for 9 bucks.

May be a bargain on cost, but for quality, it is top notch, better by far than the high end pipe tobacco at well over twice the price at other local tobacco shops.

Dual use too, makes a damn fine chew.

Just about anythin' beats this danged nicorette gum that I'm chawin' on now. :shake:

Try most any of Dunhill's English blends. Or Balkan Sobranie. Generally, good tobaccos only come from true tobacco stores. Veteran pipe smokers generally find the drug store blends poor. Your choice of a corncob is good. :applause: You can lose one or break one and not feel a serious pain in the wallet. In my opinion, corn cobs smoke as well as all but the best briars. Meerschaum pipes probably smoke the best, but they are almost as expensive as gasoline. :haha: graybeard

How do, Flint. I'm with Tanstaafl...I like a black cavendish. Very mellow and aromatic. When I want something different, I'll switch to a blend that's a combination of black cav' and a little burly.

Also, Graybeard brings up a good point about those with an educated palette eschewing the "bag" blends in favor of the tobacconers' weed. :grin: The difference in price is negligable, but the difference in quality is worth every penny. Think of it like the difference between ground coffee from a can and fresh-ground from whole beans...

:thumbsup:

I am at the age where something will get me soon enough, I figure why go under miserably and in good health.

Ditto here. I can't imagine anything more horrible than never to enjoy something or things and then at the end be in perfect health but missed out on a lot of good stuff. I kinda look at my age (67) as being in a sort of race...Since I have absolutely no desire to spend my remaining days in some nursing or retirement home and would much rather check out early before that happens...it is a race to see which comes first...makes things interesting doesn't it? :v :)

A cheap but decent tobacco thats easy to find is Prince Albert. Though for a newbie I'd almost reccomend some aromatic tobaccos. Do you have a Tinderbox or small pipe shop near you?

you can also check out[url] www.pipesandcigars.com[/url] ,[url] www.jrcigars.com[/url] ,[url] www.knoxcigar.com[/url] ,[url] www.smokingpipes.com[/url] and for almost all pipe tobacco reviews there is[url] www.tobaccoreviews.com[/url] :thumbsup:

And if you're on usenet, try alt.smokers.pipes for an unending supply of pipe related info! They helped me get started! :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with oomcourt on this one. Sir Walter Raleigh is good and so is Half and Half with my preference being the latter. My personal choice is Carter Hall. Smooth, mellow, no bite and the stuff stays lit!!! Prince Albert never appealed to me and all of the "flavored" tobbaco's had too much bite and wouldn't stay lit for me. I do love the smell of Captain Black or Cherry Blend when someone else is smoking them

Borkum Riff is another good and mild tobbaco but I've never been able to keep the darn stuff lit.

I might have to go fly fishing just so I can justfy smoking a pipe!

Vic

WHen here in the house, I smoke Dunhill 965, but when out and about I like Irish XXX Black rope tobacco. Strong as sin and period correct

Back