• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pipe and tobacco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MacArthur pipe holds a lot of tobacco in the bowl. If you're a long smoker, I'm sure it will be excellent. Heck, it's cob. Me, I'm a short-smoker and like a small bowl pipe.

I don't smoke very often at all but have a handfull of pipes. However, I can see good opportunitites to sit around the campfire and enjoy the cob pipe! I've wanted a MacArthur pipe for some time now. Just haven't followed through with it.
I also ordered my second tin of Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding. I highly recommend it!

I have several of the large German style porciline pipes. They are good smokers and just look neat. However I rarely smoke them as they don't smoke well if half filled and if compleatly filled smoke for an hour and a half. I am done with a smoke by about 30 min. I wonder that a MacArthur would not have the same problem.

I've several pipes, red clay and glazed ceramic that use a reed stem, Irish clay sutlers and a burl with a brass rain guard. They are all good smokers. When on the march I use the burl because of the rain guard and looking to add another to my haversack.

You realize that "Missouri Meerschaum" is a real tongue-in-cheek phrase don't you? It was a joke about a poor-man's pipe that could be made easily enough out of dried corn cob and a reed stem. Although it has NONE of the characteristics of a real Meerschaum pipe, after breaking it in you could get a decent smoke from it.

I recall getting one in my younger years (18 to 19-yrs. old) and you absolutely had to break it in just like a briar pipe.

I had another pipe called "The Pipe" back in the late 60's that was made out of a nylon material and had a layer of some carbon-like material from "heat-shield" material used on the Gemini capsules as a liner. You didn't need any breaking in with that one at all. In fact if you let anything build up, it didn't smoke as well. I still have that pipe...

Outside of that "The Pipe", real Meerschaum and clay pipes are about the only ones I know of that don't need a break-in period to build up some carbon lining and Meerschaum is MUCH better than a normal clay pipe.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

These are in date order from bottom to top getting us into the top of the 18th C. from the bottom of the 16th I "living history." I tend to wrap something around them and stuff them into my tin cup in my haversack -- the cups get a ding here and there once in a while but the pipes are saved.

Don't remember short reed stem pipes, but yes, reeds are strong, replaceable, and feel nice. Short clay stems have easily lasted well for me too and I'll smoke "old" pipes that could have been around a century later after all.

Oh, the tobacco I carry is in the deer-suede tobacco pouch that hides a ZipLock snack-bag which just gets replaced when I put my next tobacco in.

You can get a small piece of sand stone , soak it in water and put in a deer skin pouch,and it will keep your smoke fresh for a week at an event without the baggy.

Tenn;
The ZipLoc is to keep it together and from drying out, both. Wet stuff also mildews. The old trick is to put a slice of apple in your pouch by the way...

Native Arizonan said:
I've used elderberry for a pipestem. It has a pith that can be removed to make a strong hollow pipe.
That caught my attention because just a few days before this post I found a small elderberry bush in my yard which had volunteered. I promised myself I would check out the stem idea, but it took a while to get around to it. That was a good tip, it would make an impressive stem.

Spence

tenngun said:
You can get a small piece of sand stone , soak it in water and put in a deer skin pouch,and it will keep your smoke fresh for a week at an event without the baggy.

I'm kinda new again to pipes, but have purchased "wet" tobacco (Plumcake) and I think it smokes much better when dry. I dry it out, in fact. Wet tobacco takes a LOT of heat to dry it down to smoke it and that transfers to a hot smoke.

I'll take dry tobacco. Still leaning. It's worth a try.

It's a fine line,should your smoke get to dru it burns very hot and will bite, too moist won't burn. Should you roll pea sized ball and lay it in your palm should the bal stick together and not change its to moist. Should it just fall apart it's too dry. Perfect is when it stays in a ball shape but about doubles in size.

I read on a post about cob pipes where the author said he likes his tobacco almost bone dry. I tried drying out the plum cake and it doesn't burn too hot and takes only a couple of re-lights.

Back