• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pinning barrel tenons....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a friend who's a very good gun builder, much better than I am. He's run into some health issues and although he's presently doing well, he's lost the desire and mojo needed to continue building guns, at least for the time being. He had one mostly built for a customer and he's anxious to have it finished and as such, he's asked me to do what was left on it. It will go without some relief carving because I couldn't match what he's already done, so mostly it just needs a few small gunbuilding actions done and it needs to be finished. He had the stock and barrel tenons already drilled, but any pinning material that I have is too small for the hole. I tried some 3/32" brass rod, which is the thickest I have and it's slightly too small. He said he just used finishing nails, but does anyone have a guess what size would be slightly larger than 3/32". Alternately, I can obviously bore his holes out ever so slightly larger if I must, so is there another common pin or rod that I could use at this size?

Must have been my day for stupid questions. I also asked a question about a large Siler lock part on a separate thread and answered my own question 5 minutes later by doing my due diligence as I should have before posting the question.

I have a friend who's a very good gun builder, much better than I am. He's run into some health issues and although he's presently doing well, he's lost the desire and mojo needed to continue building guns, at least for the time being. He had one mostly built for a customer and he's anxious to have it finished and as such, he's asked me to do what was left on it. It will go without some relief carving because I couldn't match what he's already done, so mostly it just needs a few small gunbuilding actions done and it needs to be finished. He had the stock and barrel tenons already drilled, but any pinning material that I have is too small for the hole. I tried some 3/32" brass rod, which is the thickest I have and it's slightly too small. He said he just used finishing nails, but does anyone have a guess what size would be slightly larger than 3/32". Alternately, I can obviously bore his holes out ever so slightly larger if I must, so is there another common pin or rod that I could use at this size?
I know you are not asking about this type of tenon, but these are so easy. I take brass and fold it in half, then fold the open two legs back 90deg for the feet. Cut out the slot then solder. I like to drill holes in the tenon feet so I don't have to tin the parts. I just clamp, flux, and lay a chunk of solder on both tenon feet and heat the barrel. When the solder sucks down, you are good to go.
Just another way to skin a cat.
Glad you are helping a friend in need.
Larry

IMG_1600.jpeg

Like I said, he's struggling with some health issues and has lost his mojo, so I'm really trying not to ask him too many pointless questions about how he did this or how he'd like me to go about that. So far, he actually seems to be having a little bit of fun knowing that I'm happy to finish the build for him and that he can impart some wisdom unto me. ;)

Pins made of spring temper music wire will not bend. With a softer material if the pin gets stuck, say from rust, it may bend. A bent pin in the stock is a serious problem.

This another example where HC may cause regrets later.

I use 1/16" music wire. This seem to be a "standard" among serious builders. The wire is available from RC aircraft hobby stores or K/S metals. The ends of each pin are tapered just a smidge on a polishing wheel. I definitely do not want them catching on the wood or the tennon.

Latest posts

Back