• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pillow ticking ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denim is tough to beat as a patch material. I started with pillow ticking and later found mattress ticking which was thicker and a bit tighter weave. Then on to duck and finally to denim and heavy, unbleached canvas. Pillow ticking does work great in many rifles and I use it in my .54, still.
Yes.... denim is tough. It is also thick and in my experience requires use of a small ball. More easier to go with something thinner, like pilllow ticking which is what I use.
BTW, I wash my new ticking only once without any detergent then dry in dryer. Works for me.

Starting experiments with a deep round groove .58.
Starting with canvas and denim.
And yeah, I wash a couple or three times along with whatever clothes.

I'm pretty sure the reason denim is a bit more difficult to seat with a ball compared with a "canvas" patch is that the denim weave is different and more complex than most other materials. This is why denim wears like iron and jeans last years or decades. Denim is simply harder to compress in a rifle barrel.

This is why denim wears like iron and jeans last years or decades. Denim is simply harder to compress in a rifle barrel.

20 years ago, id say you're right; but the way they're making levis these days, im going to have to start using them for patches to get my money's worth out of them. 🤣 You just cant find them like my dad's old orange tag levis. I have a pair that fits me that he couldn't wear out when he was my age.

With the fabric industry going overseas to the extent that it has in the last two decades it is harder to find a quality weave. This COVID thing has been a real bear, but the opportunity to revitalize American manufacturing in every industry has never been as good as it has been in recent years.

20 years ago, id say you're right; but the way they're making levis these days, im going to have to start using them for patches to get my money's worth out of them. 🤣 You just cant find them like my dad's old orange tag levis. I have a pair that fits me that he couldn't wear out when he was my age.

For the last...oh, maybe 65 years my daily uniform is a sweatshirt and Levi's. The last time I bought any jeans was more than 15 years ago. Actually my jean wearing goes back a lot further now that I think about it.

Back