• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pillow ticking , same both sides ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
On pillow ticking patches, the stripes are darker on one side than the other. I was told by a fellow that the the lighter striped side is "rougher" and should face the ball for a better grip. Is there any truth to this or is it just another myth passed down from long ago ? -Thanks

On pillow ticking patches, the stripes are darker on one side than the other. I was told by a fellow that the the lighter striped side is "rougher" and should face the ball for a better grip. Is there any truth to this or is it just another myth passed down from long ago ? -Thanks
Actually, the blue stripes must be in the groves! Just kidding. It makes no difference which side is up.

Yes, There is a finish surface and mill side to fabric, with clothing it matters.
Neither the lead ball nor your barrel cares how the fabric is compressed when it's used as a cotton fabric patch.
The aspect of the patch remains the same.
Myth.

Aline your strips north to south as you load, unless you’re in the southern hemisphere.
Full moon Aline with true north, new moon aline with magnetic north. Adjust during waxing or waiting moons in clockwise fashion
The Ozarks are almost due south of magnetic north so my alinement is the same.
Use blue in spring time, tan in fall and red around Christmas
The lighter side is the ‘inside’ and should touch the ball
Lube need be applied across at a 90 degree angle to the strips, never lube in the same direction
Never use cotton tic on guns earlier then 1790, linen only in these guns( hemp if your in California)
Russian sheathing only on European guns.
Spanish brown is only fit for smooth bores.
Three f loades require lube on both sides of patch, two f bore side only
It sounds complex but is really very simple.

Aline your strips north to south as you load, unless you’re in the southern hemisphere.
Full moon Aline with true north, new moon aline with magnetic north. Adjust during waxing or waiting moons in clockwise fashion
The Ozarks are almost due south of magnetic north so my alinement is the same.
Use blue in spring time, tan in fall and red around Christmas
The lighter side is the ‘inside’ and should touch the ball
Lube need be applied across at a 90 degree angle to the strips, never lube in the same direction
Never use cotton tic on guns earlier then 1790, linen only in these guns( hemp if your in California)
Russian sheathing only on European guns.
Spanish brown is only fit for smooth bores.
Three f loades require lube on both sides of patch, two f bore side only
It sounds complex but is really very simple.

Just the mocking this thread needs.

And in fine style too.

Thank you.

Just the mocking this thread needs.

And in fine style too.

Thank you.
It wasn’t mocking, it’s a legitimate question for new shooters. Ml is a mountain of stuff to learn that quickly becomes second nature
But all of us from green horn to gray beard need to understand we just have a nerdy sport, and we are all out for the fun of it.
Just ask if hot water or room temp is best for cleaning, if you need four f on your pan, should you weigh your balls,
Then grab the popcorn and watch the fur fly.

Coarse textured side cleans the barrel during loading, whereas fine textured side will polish.

Don’t worry about knowing which side is coarse or fine, alternate sides when loading using the Flip It method.

Most cotton fabrics have a smooth side and a rough. I always put the rough side against the ball. It's easier to tell on Ticking because the dark side is smooth. It's also the side I lube because it's against the bore. However, you can't lube only one side with a wet lube. I use October County's Bumbling Bear Grease (Bear grease mixed with Bees Wax).

Walt

Well, I've been here long enough to know better than to ask such a question and I expected nothing less than what I got. If anything this site is as entertaining as it is informative. Carry on gentlemen. :thumb:

I’m glad that you see the humor in all the wise guy replies…
But everyone should know for a flintlock the the dark side goes against the ball..
In a presuccion gun the dark side of the patch goes on the outside of the ball …
Making all this kinda shady talk..

Let the flaming continue… it’s raining here anyway.😎👍

Does the rough texture on the patch grip the ball better? Maybe. Does the slick side cause less friction in the barrel? Maybe. Should I only lube the side against the barrel so the rough side grabs the ball better? Maybe. I haven't had a chance to take my Chronograph out to test any of this but it sounds good to me.

My main focus is and always has been, consistency in loading. A wise man once wrote, "Control the Variables for the Best Accuracy"! I often wonder if some of the guys at the monthly Shooting Matches are loading inconsistently or just bad shots! Food for thought for sure.

Walt

Back