• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pillow ticking as a cleaning patch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old T-shirt or flannel works much better. Pillow ticking is too thick to fit my jag unless I cut it very small and it doesn't clean as well.
Check your local thrift store or garage sale for material.

One of the advantages of getting larger quantities of patch material is the consistency you get. Problem I find with odd rags and t-shirts is they vary in thickness from piece to piece, some being a tight fit on your jag, others being loose. Not a big deal, but still a bit of a PIA. Find old high thread count bed sheets will provide a nice quantity of material, or you can spend the big bucks ($1-$2 per yard by 56”- 60” wide) on close out cotton flannel, or better yet if you can find it, cotton flannelette. A yard of 60” wide material will give you nearly 240 3” square patches. That less than a penny a patch if you can find it for $2 per yard. Might end up with some unique colors and patterns on close out, but who cares?

Don't waste your pillow ticking on cleaning. One good used flannel sheet gets me through a whole season. I bought a left-over King Size flannel sheet at LLBean (outlet store) for $11.00 that I have made THOUSANDS of cleaning patches from.

ADK Bigfoot

Just figured using the pillow ticking would keep for getting cluttered. I need to make a pouch some day, I'm just using a canvas laptop bag for now. It's to big and a pain to reach into. I may get some of that canvas I seen at Wal-Mart, I wonder if it would hold up. I was never good at ordering leather, tho I know how to weather work.

Don't waste your pillow ticking on cleaning. One good used flannel sheet gets me through a whole season. I bought a left-over King Size flannel sheet at LLBean (outlet store) for $11.00 that I have made THOUSANDS of cleaning patches from.

ADK Bigfoot
well it's maybe a good thing I'm big lol, I have plenty of shirts that don't fit anymore.

Doesn't seem to hold water etc. that well. I agree for swabbing, soft cotton is nice. For drying the bore, I use paper towels folded to fit tight. It sucks up water better than anything and shows if the bore is dry or not.

Ticking is not absorbent enough and is not soft or pliable enough to get into the grooves well. It works ok but flannel or knit t-shirt material is MUCH better. Go to the nearest thrift store and get some old t-shirts or some soft flannel bed sheets and yah make your own. Personally I just use my old t-shirts as I go through a lot of them. Work very well for gun rags too.

Latest posts

Back